IGNORED

Just finished putting down some sound deadening

logan1

I'm the original owner of a 73 240Z, and have used Dynamat on most of the interior. I'd like to do the transmission tunnel and roof, but the vinyl is original and in perfect condition. Has anyone removed and replaced the vinyl successfully?

How do you get the insulation on the inside of the door skins? There isn't much room!

Peter

How do you get the insulation on the inside of the door skins? There isn't much room!

Peter

Very carefully. And hopefully without too many scrapes and scratches on your hand :) Just make sure you heat up the sticky side and use some sort of roller to really press it on good. Otherwise it will start to come off the vertical and upside down panels after a few weeks/months.

I used Ensolite layered over RAAMmat BXT II. Before, my transmission tunnel was unbearbly hot if I drove it for over an hour in the summer. Now it is warm, but bearable. Thing is, I had to put on two layers of RAAMmat, followed by three layers of Ensolite on the tunnel, and beneath and behind the drivers seat, where the exhaust runs. I wish I had put on more layers, and might redo the tunnel insulation before summer starts again.

A tip on using Ensolite, or any closed cell foam sheeting, is to take your transmission tunnel vinyl and lay it upside down on a large piece of card board (or otherwise protect your floor with something that won't be hard to peel off the sticky vinyl). Spray it with glue, and lay your sheets of foam insulation on it, gluing on as many layers as you want. I suggest 4 layers if using Ensolite, which is kinda thin. After the glue dries, turn it over. You can then trim the excess foam off, following the pattern of the vinyl. If you do it this way, you'll only be squirming around inside the car one time, as you install the laminated stack. Otherwise, you're going to have to put layer after layer on that tunnel, which is backbreaking.

Don't go all original and pay extra for some old stinky piece of horsehair jute or whatever that was I pulled off the tunnel. Nobody will know if you just use some closed cell foam. Be sure its closed cell, because open cell can absorb water and stink. Best thing is to use something like Ensolite that is designed for automotive use, because it is supposed to be less flamable.

One more comment is that I bet you have a hard time putting the vinyl on your rear wheel arches. It is a very tight and awkward fit, and I think your layers of insulation will make it challenging to install the vinyl. It's probably doable, and given the patience and attention to detail that you have shown on the insulation install, you'll get the vinyl looking good. I skipped the insulation on those arches for that reason. Lot of noise from the arches, so let me know if you pull it off and I might go back and try it.

Matt

Well, I'm SOLD on the Fat Mat Xtreme. but I will give this word of warning for anyone who may deal with the following company...

Dealer Cost Car Audio IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!

DO NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING FROM THIS WEBSITE!!!

I tried to buy 2 different kits of Dynamat Xtreme from this company and almost got screwed, thank god for VISA and Wells Fargo Bank!! I paid for the items on Dec. 26th 09'. After 3 weeks and 30+ emails of waiting and excuses, I cancelled my order and looked them up on the BBB site.....

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/Dealer-Cost-Car-Audio-100072683

I went to my bank yesterday and THEY resolved the issue and gave me a full refund. The DCCA is VISA's problem, or should I say the other way around?

So before you purchase from ANY unfamiliar company, check them out at http://www.BBB.com first!!.

Great pics and instal Logan1. You've encouraged me to do the whole 260Z project in FatMat. I'm thinking of purchasing from "Noise-Killers" on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/100-80-Mil-Rattle-Trap-FatMat-Deadener-Dynamat-Roller_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2a047ea72aQQitemZ180464035626QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Dave.

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE HEAT SHIELD INSTALLED

Just installed some heat shield. I use a product called Reflectix: Double Reflective Insulation that i bought from Home Depot ($25 for 50sqft).

I read a bunch of reviews from people on the Corvette forum who seem to have had very good results shielding the cabin from engine / exhaust and transmission heat.

http://www.homedepot.com/Reflectix/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Z19n/R-100052556/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Reflectix is very easy to work with and I with help from dear ol' dad managed to get the firewall, transmission tunnel and cabin floors done in about 3 hrs (Start to finish). I used 3M super 77 adhesive and Aluminum foil tape to stick and secure the Reflectix.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

• 4 months later...

Logan1,

So, it's been a few months since you installed the insulation. I was wondering how your car sounds.

Also, how difficult/easy was it to place the carpeting and vinyl on the car? Did you encounter any difficult areas like the wheel well or the strut towers?

Thanks,

Bryan