IGNORED

Just finished putting down some sound deadening

logan1

Well we just finished a pita job of sound deadening the car. My dad did 99% of the work . Currently my car does not have any stereo equipment but i hope to put in a simple system later on down the road.

The sound deadening i used is called Rattle trap made by fatmat. I bought it on eBay; 100sqft shipped for $160. The mat stick very well to all surfaces. Also dont be fooled into thinking that this is a quick job that can be done in 1 afternoon. It take a good bit of time to make sure the surface is clean and ready for application and the pieces are cut well so everything fits together nicely with no wrinkles and huge overlaps at the edges.

Here are a few pictures of the finished product.

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Can you guys recommend a good heat shield for the firewall and transmission tunnel.

Wow, it looks like a giant baked potato! Seriously, it looks like you have a LOT of work here, great attention to detail! - I am certain that it will sound great.

How much additional weight did all of that add to your car?? Question- After all of the installation work, why would you put a "Simple" system in the car?? I would choose something that will take advantage of the sound deadening, without going overboard!

Now you can come to Texas and do mine! LOL

Nice job! Looks like it would make a great tanning booth. How thick is the material? How much of the 100 square feet of insulation were left over?

Dennis

Rattle trap is 0.080 inches thick and we used 90sqft for the car.

Wow, it looks like a giant baked potato! Seriously, it looks like you have a LOT of work here, great attention to detail! - I am certain that it will sound great.

How much additional weight did all of that add to your car?? Question- After all of the installation work, why would you put a "Simple" system in the car?? I would choose something that will take advantage of the sound deadening, without going overboard!

Now you can come to Texas and do mine! LOL

I think we added 35lbs to the car in sound deadening. I installed the sound deadening to cut down on road noise. I am not sure yet as to what system I'll per putting in the car.

Edited by logan1

I did the same as you. If you have any left over , I recommend that you use it on the hatch area and the flat surface in back of the seats. This area acts like a sound board with the road noise. I bought some insulation that JC Whitney sells for thermal/noise protection for under the hood. It is about 3/8'' thick and I added it over the whole hatch and floor pan area right under the carpet. One more thing , use your fat mat and apply it to the BACK side of the plastic panels just make sure that where the panel contacts the body there is no extra stuff. Apply the mat on the inside surface of the doors , the same for the rear fenders. It make a huge difference. I didn't put any on the roof. The head liner has a thick foam pad that dampens the sound by it's self. I was afraid also that it may come loose.

Gary been there done that!

I did the same as both of you but also put it in the headliner area. I reached as far as I could were the antenna and the gas tank side are. It is a big difference inside the doors as well as the cockpit area. Huge difference when you are driving the car. Logan1 great looking project.

post-14147-14150809823875_thumb.jpg

Wow very impressive, about how long did it take? I'm planning to do this in the next month or so and was originally under the impression that it was a quick job. But it looks like I was completely mistaken.

Tell us how it rides when you get it up and running.

Can you guys recommend a good heat shield for the firewall and transmission tunnel.

MSA sells replacement firewall insulators http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SIC01L/40-2860. The transmission tunnel will probably be fine with just the fatmat if you plan to put the original vinyl on. If you carpet the transmission tunnel it may come with padding attached.

-Mike

Wow very impressive, about how long did it take? I'm planning to do this in the next month or so and was originally under the impression that it was a quick job. But it looks like I was completely mistaken.

Tell us how it rides when you get it up and running.

It took me approx 40 hrs to do the whole car from start to finish.