IGNORED

spitz17: 1970 Datsun Series I 240Z Project

spitz17

I agree. We already discussed this in another thread. I would think that either the VIN was swapped OR there was serious rear end damage neccessitating replacing the hatch AND quarters with newer sheet metal. It certainly does not appear to be a series one car.

Looks nice though!

I ended up editing my post. I found another thread where he says the PO had changed the hatch and pillar emblems "to look like a series 2".

It could have been in an accident too and the PO didnt tell/know. Anything is possible after 40 years, we all know that.;)

John

spitz17'

Could you share some information concerning the original grapefruit alternator shown in one of your attachments? On the housing, there should be a part number engraved and, would love to know this to confirm what the correct early 40 amp alternator is.

From the information I have, the numbers should be:

LT140-53

23100 A4800

I am also a little confused about correlating the early production date with what appears to be a series 2 appointed car.

Thanks, and congrats on the nice find.

Dan

Dan,

I'll look at it when i get home

tonight!

Also for everyone who's asking, I already confirmed it is a Series 1. As someone mentioned earlier, the PO probaby got into an accident. But, the amount of evidence that it's a series 1 is much more than series 2 features, which is just a hatch and the holes in the pillars.

To name a few things it has that is present on series I cars:

Swiss cheese rear deck

vertical heater vents

tools/jack behind seat

chrome coat hanger

latch seat belts

matching 4 VIN numbers

6/70 production

and many more

thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

Dan,

I already confirmed it is a Series 1. As someone mentioned earlier, the PO probaby got into an accident. But, the amount of evidence that it's a series 1 is much more than series 2 features, which is just a hatch and the holes in the pillars.

To name a few things it has that is present on series I cars:

Swiss cheese rear deck

vertical heater vents

tools/jack behind seat

chrome coat hanger

latch seat belts

matching 4 VIN numbers

6/70 production

and many more

thanks to everyone for the kind comments!

Did you check the firewall engraving to compare the vin # to the plates on the door and the engine bay? The vin is engraved just above the master vac on the drivers side firewall.

Looks good by the way, I had a spoiler like that on mine when purchased but it was cracked so I ditched it. I like those alot more than the bre style. They seem to complete the front end!

John

Did you check the firewall engraving to compare the vin # to the plates on the door and the engine bay? The vin is engraved just above the master vac on the drivers side firewall

Yep, all four VINs match.

Looks good by the way, I had a spoiler like that on mine when purchased but it was cracked so I ditched it. I like those alot more than the bre style. They seem to complete the front end!

Your talking about the airdam right? I think so too, for some reason.. by personal opinion, i feel like theres just too much emptiness with the factory valance.

Looks good by the way' date=' I had a spoiler like that on mine when purchased but it was cracked so I ditched it. I like those alot more than the bre style. They seem to complete the front end![/quote']Your talking about the airdam right? I think so too, for some reason.. by personal opinion, i feel like theres just too much emptiness with the factory valance.
That's why it's good that there are still more than one option for these cars. Because my preference is totally the other way. If my car had come with the airdam, I'd have ditched it in favor of the BRE-style. I like how the BRE accentuates the shark-nose look of the 240Z.

But that's just me. Your car is great looking anyway! Love the blue color!

attachment.php?attachmentid=33331&d=1261002690

That's why it's good that there are still more than one option for these cars. Because my preference is totally the other way. If my car had come with the airdam, I'd have ditched it in favor of the BRE-style. I like how the BRE accentuates the shark-nose look of the 240Z.

But that's just me. Your car is great looking anyway! Love the blue color!

Like I mentioned, I didn't really like the factory look, but your BRE-Style wing looks superb! Wish I could see it in person..

Thanks for the complements Arne, your car looks pretty as well! :laugh:

Edited by spitz17

Yep, all four VINs match.

Your talking about the airdam right? I think so too, for some reason.. by personal opinion, i feel like theres just too much emptiness with the factory valance.

Cool, they must have welded series 2 skins on while they were available.

And yes, I was talking about the airdam. It is a matter of preference like Arne says. I prefer the air dam look (I always called them front spoilers as a kid and I guess it stuck). I think it makes the front end look beefier.

I am going to buy one for mine. I am not sure whether or not to paint it body color or leave it with the graphite look. I have the valance and corners ready to bolt on but will just store them for when I show/sell the car.

What's your opinion on not painting the airdam? Is it designed to be left unpainted?

I found the xenon airdam online for $209 plus shipping but they wanted $179 for shipping without asking for my zip code! Seems to me that they are looking to make $100 on the shipping.

Where did you get yours and, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

John

Where did you get yours and, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

I actually found mine floating on craigslist for $150 picked up. I'd recommend probably MSA or eBay. Their shipping is relatively low.

I definately will paint mine, I'm just waiting till I have to do a whole paint job to save some money LOL. Lemme look around, I might be able to find a cheaper airdam for you.