IGNORED

Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty 2010

SteveJ

Every year the GA Z club has the same spot just infield of turn 11 - on the right after crossing the bridge. Are you doing this in an official position? There's always been way more than 15 cars and a much bigger tent than 10x10. Here are some shots from the past:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=20173

Note the size of the tent here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=20168

Mike,

Yes, last year Robert had trouble contacting the organizers. I was there all 3 days and turnout was on the low side. I'm not sure there were 15 all weekend. Of course, Saturday and Sunday I had to drive my Mazdas because my 240's battery went dead, and my 260 wasn't ready, so you might not have noticed me there.

At Thursday's club meeting I told Robert I would get in touch with the organizers. When I got today's message, I forwarded Robert a copy to try to get the word out to the club. I also started a Mitty thread in the Georgia Z Club forums and put up a calendar event there, too. Classic Motorsports Magazine didn't have a good email address for the club, so I told them to contact me. (Can you tell I'm trying to be more active in the club this year?:))

Steve

Ok, thanks for your effort. It's possible that Robert just doesn't have the experience that Henry had regarding the Mitty (Henry races every year). I was there last year only one day but didn't bring my 240Z because of the rain forecast. I plan to this year if the weather is good.

Ok, thanks for your effort. It's possible that Robert just doesn't have the experience that Henry had regarding the Mitty (Henry races every year). I was there last year only one day but didn't bring my 240Z because of the rain forecast. I plan to this year if the weather is good.

Strangely, Henry was at the meeting when we were talking about the Mitty, and he didn't say anything. HOWEVER, he did mention a vintage racing event the weekend of the 20th (Eddie Radatz gave me the correct info.) at Road Atlanta. Only $5/head. I'm going to try to make it out there if Eddie Radatz isn't done working on my 74. If Eddie is done, I'm headed over to Kennesaw Saturday to pick it up.

Steve

Edited by SteveJ

Hi everyone,

My name is Dana Boudreault (pronounced "Boodrow") and I'm the VP of the Carolina Z Club in Charlotte NC. I don't post here much but I lurk around reading the advice of people like Carl Beck and drooling over Ron Carter's Z and Roadster pics and vids, and I really enjoy the rest of the community here on this "Gentleman's" Z forum!

Anyway, I'm going to The Mitty for the first time this year! I have never been to Road Atlanta or the Mitty, so I'm wondering if you guys could give a rookie any pointers?

I'm bringing my 280Z, and I'm almost finished with it's restoration (but will be by then), and it's a BRE Tribute Z. I've been working on this resto-mod for just over 3 years now. I have decided to change the front spoiler which will require a repaint.

I'd like to meet as many of you on this Forum as I can while I'm there. It's nice to place a face to the avitars on these forums, and meet people who's knowledge has helped me through my project.

So if you see my BRE (Blue) #30 car there please stop by and say Hi.

Cheers!

-Dana

PS: Here's a couple pics:

post-14378-14150809888723_thumb.jpg

post-14378-14150809889409_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

My name is Dana Boudreault (pronounced "Boodrow") and I'm the VP of the Carolina Z Club in Charlotte NC. I don't post here much but I lurk around reading the advice of people like Carl Beck and drooling over Ron Carter's Z and Roadster pics and vids, and I really enjoy the rest of the community here on this "Gentleman's" Z forum!

Anyway, I'm going to The Mitty for the first time this year! I have never been to Road Atlanta or the Mitty, so I'm wondering if you guys could give a rookie any pointers?

I'm bringing my 280Z, and I'm almost finished with it's restoration (but will be by then), and it's a BRE Tribute Z. I've been working on this resto-mod for just over 3 years now. I have decided to change the front spoiler which will require a repaint.

I'd like to meet as many of you on this Forum as I can while I'm there. It's nice to place a face to the avitars on these forums, and meet people who's knowledge has helped me through my project.

So if you see my BRE (Blue) #30 car there please stop by and say Hi.

Cheers!

-Dana

PS: Here's a couple pics:

Dana,

As Mike posted, the Georgia Z Club usually sets up near the Suzuki Bridge. You can see it on the maps of Road Atlanta. I don't know, yet, where we might be this year, but I'm going to work aggressively with the Classic Motorsports people and the Georgia Z Club. (We still have two more club meetings before the Mitty.)

The spot where we congregate has a nice view of the downhill after Turn 9. At the end of the downhill is a hard braking zone for Turns 10 & 11. There can be a lot of excitement there, and a couple of cars usually visit the gravel traps there during the weekend.

I think my favorite racing is the vintage GTP class. You have the Audis that run away from everybody, provided they don't have a failure, a couple of Porshe 962s, and various other cars. When you're sitting on the hillside watching the action, you get a wonderful sampling of the different approaches to the forumlas from over the years. From Turn 11, all the cars are hard on the gas for a short burst before having to let off for Turn 12 and the front straight. The cars go from braking to accellerating and back to braking all in that short span. The engine sounds are a racing fanatic's dream. In 2008, there was even a showing of vintage Formula 1 cars.

Of course, one of the greatest aspects of the Mitty is the open paddock area. You get to roam around and admire all of the cars up close, and you often get to talk to the people who maintain and drive the cars.

I'm hoping I get better pictures this year than last, and I'm going to shoot some video, too. (Does anybody have recommendations for PC-based inexpensive video editing software? The software that came with my camera only produces HUGE files.)

Anyway, Dana, send me a PM if you'd like to join the Georgia Z Club at the Mitty.

Steve

Hi,

I plan on bringing at least two cars to enter the Mitty. Both will be 240 Z's. We might have a 280ZX too. We're also going to run at Sebring before the 12 hour. I am trying to get more involved in Vintage racing because I am sick of all the cars being Porsches. If these rich guys only knew how fast, reliable, and relatively inexpensive it is to run a Z! We're gonna make the Porsche weenies run home to mommy.

Greg Ira

I got this email this afternoon:

Hi Stephen-

There's no need to order tickets as a group; All I really need from you is an accurate car count so we know how much space you'll need. I'm extending a lot of trust in the Z community, so here's hoping that everybody shows up.

I'm going to neighbor you with Bryan Settle/Zdayz crew (who are claiming 50-100 cars) and The East Coast 510 Meet, who will probably be 15-20 cars. It's going to be a "Sea of Zs" (copyright that!) at this year's Mitty.

Tom Heath

I guess he hasn't been out to the national convention. ;)

I received another email tonight. We're going to be set up around Turn 10 at the Suzuki Bridge.

Edited by SteveJ
Added more information