IGNORED

Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty 2010

SteveJ

Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty 2010

April 29-May 2 – Road Atlanta – Braselton, GA

Stay tuned for developing news on the 2010 Mitty. We’ll be returning to Road Atlanta for our annual celebration of all things automotive, and this year’s event promises to be the best yet.

Peter Brock will be our guest of honor at the event, and we’ll be recognizing the accomplishments of Peter and the rest of the Brock Racing Enterprises team in the automotive world. On Thursday night, we’ll have a special dinner to honor the entire BRE crew, including an intimate question and answer session for fans. In addition to the dinner, Peter will be on hand throughout the weekend to check out the races. Plan on stopping in the Classic Motorsports tent to attend an autograph session. We’re still working on a final list of participating team members, but we’ve invited John Morton, John McComb, Kirk Allegro, Mac Tilton, Trevor Harris, John Knepp, Joe Cavaglieri, Bruce Burness, John Caldwell, Bob Lyon and more from the original BRE team.

Of course, the BRE team couldn’t be completely represented without the incredible cars they built over the years, so expect to see many of the original race cars and a few finely finished replicas to be present as well. Highlights include 1969 Pacific Coast D Prod Champion #44 Datsun 2000 Roadster, 1969 4th place Mexican 1000 BRE Baja 510 #89, 1970-71 C Prod Champion #46 Datsun 240Z, 1971-72 Trans-Am 2.5 Champion #46 BRE Datsun 510, #85 BRE 510 guest car of Bobby Allison, 1973 Baja 500 #300 BRE Baja 240Z and more.

Lotus will be the featured marque for this year’s event, and will celebrate the honor by showcasing their new Evora coupe along with scores of historic Lotus racing cars.

Concours d’LeMons- We love classics in all shapes and sizes, so we wanted to find a way for some of the orphaned and unknown to enjoy the spotlight. To that end, we’ve worked with the same minds that created the 24 Hours of LeMons to create the Concours d’LeMons. This event promises to be a light-hearted highlight of the weekend for lovers of underappreciated classics.

Mazda Drivers Party- After the racing action on Friday, Mazda will be hosting a special party open to anyone with a Mazda key in their pocket. Come to meet and talk with the Mazda Pro racers, factory representatives, and executives that help make this company the number one choice of amateur racers.

Classic Motorsports Cup race- The Classic Motorsports Mitty will host the second round of a new series for 2010—the Classic Motorsports Cup. The series is open to small-bore cars produced before 1965 and their continuation counterparts. this race promises to be a hotly contested battle among the cars that make up the core of our reader’s interests.

Kumho autocross- Thanks to our friends at Kumho Tires USA, the 2010 Mitty will again offer spectators the chance to drive a Kumho-equipped Mazda MX-5 around our infield autocross course. This driving experience is completely free of charge, so make sure you sign up for some top-down driving fun!

Moss pub- The Moss pub will be open for business during the evening hours on Friday and Saturday night. Come by for a cold drink and the best bench racing you’ll find this side of Siebkins. Challenge a friend to a game of darts or a spin around our slot-car track anytime, but don’t miss the live music performed by Wess Cobb on Saturday night.

Historic Stock cars- No cookie-cutter “Cars of Tomorrow” here—HSR’s Historic Stock Car class features a full field of competitive racers piloting the cars from NASCAR’s past. Be sure to walk through the paddock to see these famous former race winners.

Swap meet- Need headlight trim for your Spitfire? How about a new bumper for your Jag? Expanded for 2010, The Classic Motorsports Mitty now offers spectators an opportunity to find those elusive parts for their own project at our Swap Meet.

Vintage motorcycle racing- More than just four-wheel fun, the Classic Motorsports Mitty will also feature vintage motorcycle racing around Road Atlanta’s 12-turn circuit. See and hear classic marques like Vincent, Triumph, Matchless and Norton in a nostalgic battle for bragging rights.

Dozens of car clubs will be attending this year’s Mitty event, with more clubs signing up every day. It’s not to late to make plans with your club, so get together and make plans for the Mitty with your buddies! It’s not too late for your club to be a part of this gathering—contact our club coordinator, Tom Heath, to register your club and receive assigned parking areas and vouchers for free touring laps for club members!

Stay tuned for further updates as the event draws closer. Trust us; you don’t want to miss the 2010 Mitty!

Related Events

• 1 month later...

It looks like both the Tom Cruise Showroom Stock Z31 and the BSR/Newman 280ZXTT are making the trip down to the Mitty this year as well. The Cruise car had to undergo an extensive body restoration due to the damage on every surface except for the roof. I have copies of several handwritten estimates done after each race and each one goes something like this - "left rear qtr, right rocker, left fender - $900."

The ZXTT has undergone a "refresh" and is running once again. I don't know how hard they will run the car but it not entered in any of the official races.

The BSR/Newman 300ZXT will run at The Glen in the vintage races in September.

All three cars are being put up for auction later this year with 100% of the proceeds going to several children hospitals.

post-7328-14150809837982_thumb.jpg

post-7328-14150809838661_thumb.jpg

Hi Guy:

You are coming to the Mitty - Right? Be there for the Thursday night dinner - it will be a hoot...

Carl B.

I'm going to order my tickets soon, but I don't think I'll try the BRE dinner. I need to save the money for parts. The Georgia Z Club usually sets up around the Suzuki Bridge. I'll probably have the 260Z there. The 240Z is my lab to work out all of the things I can screw up before I learn how to do it right.

I hope to meet up with you guys when you come out.

Steve

Gee - I expected that bringing the BSR 280ZXTTto the Mitty, that hasn't been turned over for maybe 20 years or more and will be out on the track would have gotten a rise out of someone on this forum.

Oh well...

I didn't see your earlier post until now. That's really cool - I'm looking forward to being there.

I'm trying to get things organized for the Georgia Z Club, and I got this message just a few minutes ago:

We'd be glad to get your club set up with a corral space; all you need to do is show up with 15 or more cars and ticketed guests to drive them. If you qualify, we'll set your club up with their own corral area, a 10x10 tent to create some shade, and schedule your group for a parade lap session. Most of the details and attractions for the rest of the weekend are on our website; check out themitty.com for the latest news.

So, who has ordered or is ordering tickets soon and would like to join the Georgia Z Club?

Steve

I'm trying to get things organized for the Georgia Z Club

Every year the GA Z club has the same spot just infield of turn 11 - on the right after crossing the bridge. Are you doing this in an official position? There's always been way more than 15 cars and a much bigger tent than 10x10. Here are some shots from the past:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=20173

Note the size of the tent here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=20168