IGNORED

My 260Z brake rebuild

g9m3c

Thanks, maybe i can replace them without messing things up to much :)

Yea, it's not hard; just takes a little while. Be mindful of the cylinder walls that the bearing cups press into and don't gouge them with your punch or screwdriver.

My rear brake line is toast like yours, glad i purchased SS brake lines not even knowing what condition mine were in. I figured 32 years old they had to be bad and i was loosing brake fluid some where.

Ouch! I haven't gotten to the rears yet. Now I'm scared. LOL

Alright, getting some more stuff done. I got both sides of the caliper thoroughly cleaned and painted. I got the bolts, pistons, and other hardware cleaned and ready to go, as well. I'm off to do some Christmas shopping and will hopefully get the caliper assembled with its new seals and everything tonight. Then, all I have to do is paint the backing plate and rotor to put this side back together again. After that, I'll do the other side....and then the rear. LOL

Here are pics of the freshly painted caliper.

brake10.jpg

brake11.jpg

Alright, here's the rebuild kit I'm using.

brake12.jpg

However, I do not recommend it. One of the kits has two different style dust seals. They're the same I.D. and O.D. but they are made differently. Also, both of the kits I bought only have one O-ring for the caliper halves. They require two. If you can't find another brand of rebuild kit, then I guess these will work. The quality of the parts seems to be really good, but don't count on getting all the right parts. I'm going to have to order two more kits to get all the stuff I need. Good thing they're only $4 or so each.

brake13.jpg

I ordered them last friday, got them in saturday. The only reason I ordered them was because of you, plus i guess 36 yr old calipers might need to be rebuilt before going out on the track, especially since the dust seals are non existent.

I only opened one package and will probably take them back to the store and show them I need one more oring. Even though the oring is a square cut they might have something that will work.

I ordered them last friday, got them in saturday. The only reason I ordered them was because of you, plus i guess 36 yr old calipers might need to be rebuilt before going out on the track, especially since the dust seals are non existent.

I only opened one package and will probably take them back to the store and show them I need one more oring. Even though the oring is a square cut they might have something that will work.

I thought about doing the same thing. However, you'll be hard pressed to find an O-ring that will hold up to brake fluid. It's corrosive stuff. You might be able to use O-rings made for fuel systems (usually red) but I don't even know if those will work. Plus, you'd have to get the exact right thickness. The caliper halves are designed to be metal-to-metal when tightened up, with the O-ring squeezed firmly in between. I'm just going to order some more kits. It's still a bargain compared to the rebuilt ones.

What shape were your pistons in?

I got my new brake hoses in the other day from Motorsport Auto. They look smexxxy. ;)

brake14.jpg

Now that I'm back from Christmas visiting, I'll get cracking on it this week. :cool:

Also, I contacted Dorman (Tru-Torque's parent company) via email about the caliper rebuild kits. Hopefully, I'll receive a response in the next couple of days. I decided against buying two more kits. I like customer service and finding out who's got it and who doesn't. Since I have plenty of stuff to do before I NEED the O-rings, I figured we'd wait and get them the right way. ROFL

"Hello, I recently purchased two brake caliper rebuild kits from Advance Auto Parts #5156 in Tuscaloosa, AL. The kits were for my 1974 Datsun 260Z. They are Tru-Torque kits; part # D35667. When I received the kits, both of them were missing the same part. These calipers require two seals between the caliper halves. They are square-cut O-rings. Both of the kits I received only contain one. I am a member of an online Z-Car forum, and another member from Denver, CO ordered 2 of the same kits in question around the time I ordered mine. He noted that both of his kits were missing the same piece mine were. From this listing on your website,

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-bin/vm91corp30r/item-dtl.w?sid=nbgmabdafdobahji012843649152215991&item=D35667&icrid=&clt=hwrap1&vsrch_str=d35667&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=&end_amount=&start=&vfrom=&prev=&vnext=&category_list=:0

I see that there should, in fact, be two seals per kit (the smallest black O-rings in the center are the ones I am missing). I would like to receive the parts that are missing from my kits directly from you, as I feel that if I order two new kits, they will be missing the pieces, as well. I can provide you with proof of purchase, photos, or anything else you need to verify what I have stated.

I anticipate your reply to help resolve this problem.

Sincerely,

Grant Hollingsworth"

Darrel, if you want to do the same, email productinfo@dormanproducts.com. Feel free to copy and paste my email format. :)