IGNORED

My dash cracked!!!

Bonzi Lon

Enigma:

What a great idea. I should of thought of that as I used the Kiwi black shoe polish all over the black bits in the car, except for the dash and glove box door. Wanted to see how it held up on the other parts first before I even thought about using it on the 'then' un-cracked dash & glovie door. Used it on the kick panels, console, the skirt covering the rockers, even the door and hatch gaskets. Really worked great, blackend right up, then polished it just like shoes. I think I will wait to use it when it warms up this spring and see if the crack becomes larger over time. Thanks for bringing it up. It will be like 'Carnuba Bondo'.

Feeling a little better, but still devistated.

Bonzi Lon

How in the heck did you break your back?

There is a thread on this board whereby someone used industrial foam and some interior paint to create an almost imperceptible fix (at least in photos).

For sake of keeping your car as original as possible, and as nice as possible, please look at that thread! :)

That sucks about your dash Bonzi. I guess there are a couple options out there that you could do that the others have mentioned. Your car looks nice enough that it makes sense to get something good-looking in there.

I actually have a perfect dash here from a '72 240Z that I'd like to sell. As the others have said it will probably crack eventually too but you never know. This one was in an airplane hanger under cover for 20 years and has been sitting in my closet for a year and a half. So maybe it has some life left. If you're interested then PM me and I can get you pics and more info.

Greg

How did I break my back? It was work related, counsel has been retained, thats all I can say at this time.

soundmasterg, thanks for the offer, but I think the 72 and my very late, 7-73, are a little different. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. It will be quite some time before I am able to do anything about it. I am leaning toward the recover prosess when it comes to that. Maybe find another 73 dash that is worse and save the original the way it is.

Carl Beck, forgot to mention, thank you for the excelent explination of how it (could of) happened. I think you are very right about it. The dash had not seen 'direct' sunlight for over 26 years. I suppose the small amount of time it was in 'direct' sunlight was enough to heat it up and relax it a bit, then the very cold snap we had was enough to shrink it to the point of failure. It has been to about dozen shows so far and all of them in 'direct' sunlight, can't help it, but mostly tried to keep it covered. Most people thought I was 'way to paranoid' about it. :paranoid:

geezer, keep an eye on that spot. IIRC there was a very small wrinkle, or just a spot that wasn't quite like the rest of the edge and that is where the crack started. It is less than 1 mm wide at the widest, for now. Time will tell if it gets any wider.

Thanks all,

Bonzi Lon

soundmasterg, thanks for the offer, but I think the 72 and my very late, 7-73, are a little different. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. It will be quite some time before I am able to do anything about it. I am leaning toward the recover prosess when it comes to that. Maybe find another 73 dash that is worse and save the original the way it is.

Hi Bonzi,

That dash I have is 49000 something so its an early '72. I'm not sure about differences between the '72's and '73's either, although I thought the dashes were the same with the exception of the heater control panel, which is seperate anyway. I think a recover process is a good approach though. Good luck to you on it and if you change your mind and want a dash, let me know.

Greg

The 73 dash is the first year to have an illuminated Heater Control Panel. The thickness of the surrounding area around the HCP is very slightly different, and that may be more a function of the two I've worked on than a standard across all 73's.

As Chris has mentioned, the Hazard Switch changes from a Toggle Switch to a Push/Pull Switch, but the mounting ring and hole are close enough in size that you can swap out to either style. (As a side note, the Pull Switch for the Hazard uses a Fiber Optic strand to illuminate the knob.)

FWIW

E

I know it is not original but I would cover the dask with some nice leather.

You can always get one very close to the finish of the original dash with black thread. I think it looks almost better than the original one.

See some pictures coming from a HBZ Norway member (Arvid) who had a cracked dash:

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

I guess if it starts to crack, we would have to find a good way to stop the cracking process (Some bad ideas: stamples, needle + threads, Glue, make the crack as big as possible to be as worse as it could get, etc...)

I do also have an uncracked dash that starts to fade, black polish for shoes is a great idea, I never thought about it (so simple....)

Edited by Lazeum

I'm loving the leather. This is the route I've thought about taking if or rather when my dash starts cracking. Does anyone know how much it would cost to have something like this done here in the states assuming standard materials and nothing fancy?

Bryan O., aka LBO730, has done some fine upholstery work for CZC members - early shift boots, wiring harness boots, e-brake boots, tool pouches and I believe some carpet work. You might want to PM him (and then PM me if he says yes!).

Gary S.

Wow!!! That is quite the dash treatment. I imagine the work involved is extensive, however not my 'cup-o-tea' for this car. I could see another car done like that with the rest of the interior done with the same treatment. It would be interesting to know what it would cost if done though. What did your friend have to pay for it? I think all of us would like to have an idea, even though some would have to save for quite some time to afford it.

Bonzi Lon