IGNORED

Jumping in with 2

ArnieTX

Amazing... A Series I and Series II {maybe} - both Green, both with OEM steel wheels!!

From the pictures it looks like the Series I is quite restorable.. the Series II seems to be missing its engine.

Something is out of wack with the images. In the first picture the Series I seems to have a jack under the front with the tires on plywood. Looking at the Left side of the car...

Then the second pictures shows the left side of another Series I - the one sitting in the background of the first picture..

At that point they both seem to be Series I cars....

Then in the third pictures - we see a Series II Right Rear Quarter on the car that is jacket up..

It will be interesting to see what you really have there... No question that they are worth getting and no question they are worth $300.00 - - - I'd have grabbed that deal in a heart beat.

FWIW,

Carl B.

The Series I cars have the solid spoke steering wheels the Series II had the slotted. They had to weaken the spokes, so the steering wheel would collapse more easily to meet the safety standards for 71.

It will be interesting to see what the VIN's are on the cars...

FWIW,

Carl B.

if they do still have the hooks, they are plenty strong enough to drag the cars onto the trailer. In emergency they are strong enough to even tow with. But since they probably don't have any brakes towing with chain or strap isn't an option. Since you do have a couple of trailers make use of the hooks.

Carl, he has the vin numbers in one of two threads he started.

Edited by Darrel

More pics:

DSCF4754.jpg

DSCF4755.jpg

DSCF4756.jpg

DSCF4749.jpg

DSCF4742.jpg

The one missing the headlight has the cleanest body from the 15 minutes I spent looking at them. It had the bad interior though.

The one with the good interior had rusty floors from front to back.

The rear hatches of both looked decent at a glance.

My gut tells me to run with the one without the headlight, HSL3011989, and use the rustier one's interior parts to clean up the interior.

I'm heading out in the morning if it doesn't ice over tonight and I actually get some sleep. LOL - San Antonio + freezing rain = crazy drivers

Thanks

Arnie

Both motors are still in each car.

I'm looking at the first pictures of the jacked up one and wondering if that big piece of pipe on the ground under the vehicle is supporting anything.

I'll take pics tomorrow as I load them up.

Thanks

Arnie

Ok - thanks Darrel....

Title #1 says HLS3011989 1971 = = 10/70

Title #2 says HLS3016914 1971 = = 12/70

In the 50's, 60's and into the very early 70's - - many Countries around the world sold/titled cars based on when they were actually produced. In effect they did not have "Model Years", but rather used Calendar Year of production to identify the cars.

In both cases above if a traditional American Car Dealership acquired a Datsun Franchise to add to their Dealership - they would have most likely titled both cars as "1971 Model Year" vehicles. Because traditionally new Models were put on sale in Sept. or Oct. of the prior year.

If on the other hand a traditional Import Car Dealership acquired a Datsun Franchise - they could quite easily have sold/titled them as 1970 Datsun 240Z's. Because most imports made model changes in step with Calendar Year changes.

As the US Federal Government got involved with mandated Safety and Emissions standards being implemented by certain dates... all the car manufactures adjusted their model changes to be more or less in line - - - So by the 72 Model Year - Nissan was making model changes necessary to sell cars here in the Sept. time frame... for the following year.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Series I have the Fresh Air vents in the deck lid. For the Series II cars the fresh air vents were moved from the rear deck to the quarter panels.

Series I cars have a 240Z script on the quarter panels - with no vent holes. The Series II cars had a round emblem on the quarter panels - with a little Z in the center - the emblems are not solid - they let the air out of a hole in the quarter panel.

Yes - that was what was throwing me off - but now that I see the VIN's they are both Series I cars - could be someone changed the rear quarter on that one car - or many be just the emblem...

FWIW,

Carl

Oh I should add - at the Dealerships - that we saw cars built 01/70 that had both the vents on the rear quarter and still had the Series I rear decks with the vents.. But we never saw any cars with different quarters on either side of the car...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Yes - keep them green, great color!

Having just sold my '72 240Z (to fix my Jag E-Type), I was kicking around the idea of finding a project Z to hold on to...these would have been perfect. Excellent purchase for $300!

On another note, and you may know this, my Jag mechanic (a legend btw) showed my absolute wrecks that he restored to almost 100 point condition. Now, that's not going to be cheap, but almost anything can be done. I was totally amazed at the work this guy could do.

I know of a project Z near by my house, I may well try to snag it :)

Good luck!!