IGNORED

Exhaust overheat light on and engine won't turn in start position

Kevin Livesey

Hi all, I have just installed my overhauled engine in my 200Z( same as 280Z ).

Initially the engine started and I got it to run to an exceptable level, idling smoothly. It does have a hesitation though when it is warm only when you press the accelerator. After a couple of times running I turned it off and it refuses to crank over with the ignition key turned to start.

The problem I have is that the Exhaust temperature light has come on and my repair manual tells me that if this happens the catalytic converter hold relay would need to be reset before the starter would get power to turn the engine again.

The manual show me where it (the hold relay) is, but it does not say how to reset it.

PLEASE HELP!

If I'm not mistaken, what was sold as a Nissan 200z in your area is better known in the USA as the 300zx (z31). If this I'm correct on this, then the similarities between your car and a 280 are few and far between.

Could you post a photo of your car, or at least a year?

His profile claims "1978 280z" so who knows. I've never heard of a 200Z and a Google search for 200Z turns up nothing useful. Perhaps it's a 280Z with a transplanted 2.0 liter engine from another car which would make this problem even harder to diagnose.

If I'm not mistaken, what was sold as a Nissan 200z in your area is better known in the USA as the 300zx (z31).

“Japanese market. On the home market, the Z31 also came with a 2.0 liter motor. The 200Z, 200ZG, and 200ZS used the VG20ET motor while the 200ZR had the RB20DET. The only factory Z31 variant to use the VG30DE engine is the 300ZR. The Japanese 300ZX Turbo makes the same 200 hp (149 kW) as the USDM VG30ET, outperforming the 2.0 liter Z31s as their engines only made 170-180 hp…” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_300ZX#cite_note-Long-3

Yes, it would be nice to see a pic. of his car, so we can identify which model it relates to the closest, as it does not appear the 200Z was manufactured in 1978.