IGNORED

5 Speed Rebuild

psdenno

I'm picking up a close ratio 5 speed this week and plan to swap it for the 4 speed in my '71 Z. I'd like to have it rebuilt before installing.

What's a typical price for a rebuild and any suggestions on who does good work in the Orange County or Riverside area of SoCal?

Dennis

You might want to give Les a call at Classic Datsun.(866) 288-8340

Rebuilds range from $350-650

Where did you find your 5 speed?

Rich

My mechanic has had it in a back corner of his shop for years and planned to use it on his Z. He just sold his Z and the 5 speed is now "excess". I've talked to him about buying the transmission for a couple years and now the time has come.

Dennis

$650.00 for a complete rebuild including parts and labor - is normal around here. $175.00 to $250.00 for a 5spd. that needs to be rebuilt.

FWIW,

Carl B.

That's about what I've figured. Since the working condition of the 5 speed is unknown, I feel more comfortable having it rebuilt before installing, rather than installing and then having to pull and rebuild it. The next task is finding someone to do it.

Thanks for the information.

Dennis

That's about what I've figured. Since the working condition of the 5 speed is unknown, I feel more comfortable having it rebuilt before installing, rather than installing and then having to pull and rebuild it.
I guess. On the other hand, I have swapped a 240Z tranny in 4 hours in my garage (no lift). So if it were me, I'd probably install it and drive it to assess it before spending the money to rebuild it.

Of course, if it did need to be rebuilt, I'd do that myself as well. (And have, but only a 4 speed.)

I echo Arne's thoughts on the matter...

If you are mechanically inclined, you might consider cracking the tranny open yourself. Then you could inspect the internals and also give it a good cleaning. The seals are relatively cheep and are easy to install. Download the FSM for a ZX from carfiche.com and it will give you the details.

I went through a few cans of brake cleaner and also pressure washed the case when I cleaned the 5-speed that I put in my car. It's real clean. I filled it with Redline transmision fluid before I installed it in the car.

And here's a tip a friend shared with me to help with installation: cut the heads off a couple of old head bolts. File or grind the sharp edges off. Use a hack saw or die grinder with a thin stone to cut a notch into the end. Then you can use a flat blade screwdriver to put them in the block as guide pins to help get the tranny lined up.

If you are mechanically disinclined, then never mind...take it to a shop. :)

I guess. On the other hand, I have swapped a 240Z tranny in 4 hours in my garage (no lift). So if it were me, I'd probably install it and drive it to assess it before spending the money to rebuild it.

Of course, if it did need to be rebuilt, I'd do that myself as well. (And have, but only a 4 speed.)

When the clutch on this Z needed to be replaced almost 30 years ago, I was under the car and doing the work. For some reason, I no longer bend as well as I did in 1981. I think this will be a job left to professionals. :)

Dennis

So Cal Transmissions in La Habra does great work. John Coffey of Beta Motorsports recommended them to me when I had my Z32 transmission rebuilt (yes, its in my 240z). Total cost was $1100. I left my car with them and they removed, rebuilt and reinstalled the tranny.

• 5 months later...

So, to bring closure to my 5 speed swap, here's what happened.....

In late December, I took my recently purchased 5 speed gearbox of unknown condition to KBL Transmission in Midway City, CA (Orange County) for rebuilding prior to having it installed in my '71 Z. The folks at KBL were friendly, knowledgeable, and fast. The trans was ready for pick-up three days later.

I brought it back to the desert and gave it to my mechanic who then removed the old 4 speed and installed the new 5 speed and a few other things while everything was apart. On the drive home from his shop, I noticed that the transmission popped out of 2nd gear when decelerating. Bummer! I got home and called KBL who said to bring it in and they'd take care of it. Since they are about 100 miles from where I live, I told them I'd have to wait until my Easter vacation. No problem.

On Easter break I removed my center console, detached the rubber shift boot, and drove the Z to my in-laws house which is just a few miles from KBL. As I neared my destination, transmission fluid started spewing from the area around the shifter boot and spraying the interior of the car. I limped it to the in-laws and had it towed to KBL the next morning.

The folks at KBL said the drive shaft had taken out the rear trans seal and recommended shaft replacement. They reworked the trans internals and replaced the seal while a replacement for the drive shaft was being readied.

The trans continued to pop out of 2nd. After pulling the trans several times to adjust and replace parts, they finally put all the internals in a new case and it worked perfectly. They delivered the Z to the in-laws house a few weeks ago and I finally picked it up yesterday. The only charge was a very reasonable one for the rebuilt drive shaft.

I highly recommend KBL if you need transmission repairs or a rebuild. They stand behind their work and aren't satisfied until the customer is. Their phone # is 714.698.1466. Ask for Don. After dealing with my car, they may never want to work on another Z, but give them a try, anyway.

Dennis