IGNORED

Who actually did S30's styling? We can make it clear

kats

Thank you everyone,

olzed,that is the point which we must clear.

bpilati, yes some prototype have 5 nuts!

Ian,

I said this,

That day 31th was a special day for all of Nissan fans,there was a forum of car design of Nissan at Hiratsuka city art museum.Lots of old sketches , tools of car design, clay models, and cars were displayed.

And what a special was, talking about historical car design by designers.

I was not there, I missed it so much (Ian you would also) there were lots of important people of Nissan car design, Mr.Kimura (CSP311) was there and,

Mr.Kimura's talking was just great.

He told CSP311 was his design,after completion of its styling , Mr.Goertz joined the project. Mr.Goertz did change rear quater piller shape.

Other body styling was "my design".

And I found this website, people are very very seriously talking about design

of CSP311.They are talking about Mr.Kimura and Mr.Goertz.

People are very happy Mr.Kimura was there forum and declared his design.

http://mizma-g.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2007/03/csp311_68ec.html

Translate function will work for this website?

Or Alan will help us!

kats

Hi Kats,

I found this website a year or two ago, and had the relevant section professionally translated. All very convincing/interesting, but I still want to find other corroborating evidence from other sources. Seeing what some information on the web says (e.g what Goertz has or has not done on some forums/websites, even in Japan) can be wholly wrong and I don't know the veracity of the author or his source. Currently I can only go with what I find written down, rather than the spoken word from someone in the know.

Cheers

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Ian,you already know that website!

What a good timing,Mr.Tamura told us about a lamp cover and a lamp case.

He said the case should not have a sharp edge at the top corner,and the cover should not have a big steel trim ring.

When Mr.Tamura joined S30 team,he was a modeler worked for Mr.Matsuo(chief designer) and Mr.Yoshida.

At that time Mr.Matsuo was very busy as a chief,he could not spend much time with S30 (type AC) cray model.Mostly Mr.Yoshida and Mr.Tamura were doing styling for the cray.Mr.Tamura told me "I remember when we were doing lamp case,I discussed with Mr.Yoshida about the edge of the case.We agreed round shape, increasing "R" of the edge from front grill side to lamp cover"

"Also we agreed about cover,it should be sticked on the case without big trim ring,we did not want to spoil of smoothness of finishing touch of the fender.So the case was glooved proper width and depth for

the clear cover "

"Some book shows pictures of design study of type AC, it had trim rings.But it was not a ring,it was aluminum tape.We wanted to hide sticked area of the clear cover to be looked neat"

"But we were not for sure how production engineers would take the way of fitting of the cover nor how they settled down of pressing metal for front fender and the lamp case"

"However we both assumed the case would be a plastic,not like actual production one, we thought only inside of the case(in front of the lamp,curved portion)"

Mr.Yoshida was forced to move to other section, then Mr.Tamura became as a designer of S30 and he did really hard for its completion.He was alone,as I told here before, every day and night,he spent with the cray.I think Mr.Tamura is the real artist with incredible skill.He can answer every little details of surface of S30.

But Mr.Tamura too,he was forced to move to other section when he had just finished final design of S30,so Mr.Tamura could not be involved next step,cray to production (I do not know how I can say it in english,sorry for this)

That is why Mr.Tamura is saying, "S30 which we are having is not what I intended to design, when the cray was brought to production engineers,some parts were changed from original cray"

Mr.Tamura sent me a letter with some "revised" drawings which have a cover without trim ring.He said a clear cover was a must item for its design ,if it does not have it,it does not complete its design.Of cource without trim ring!"

"I drew the red S30 with a trim ring, but at that time I felt something uneasy.

I forgot something over 40years ,now I found what I was doing!"

kats

post-3193-14150813060296_thumb.jpg

post-3193-1415081306149_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150813062_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150813062426_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150813062852_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150813063386_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150813063818_thumb.jpg

Edited by kats
width & depth
  • Like 1

Thank you, Kats, for bringing this topic to the club. Please also tell Mr. Tamura thank you for joining in the discussion. We are honored to be a part of the topic. The sketches and photos in this thread are beautiful pieces of important history of the Z.

Mike Gholson

• Like 1

Thank you Mike,

Mr.Tamura will definitly be happy when he see your post:)

Also everyone here makes him happy,that is easy,Mr.Tamura love to see people is saying "I love my Z"

I think it does not matter you know about design story or not.

kats

Kats,

Interesting story from Mr. Tamura has me thinking. If he was part of AC prototypes from 1966 through most of 1967 but not part of the final clay models - P-types. Here are some pictures of the AC models. The convertible is A6 from January 1966. It shows the sharp corners of the headlamp cover design. Perhaps what Mr. Tamura was talking about with his Yoshida conversation.

Then model types AC-2, AC-3, and AC-4 from May through October of 1967.

post-4148-14150813083664_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150813084081_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150813084318_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150813084695_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Chris,240znz,Grim,Fred

Thank you for enjoying this thread.I have more to show on this topic from Mr.Tamura.

Chris,type A6(convertible) was a very biggining, Mr.Tamura was not inducted to the team yet.Type AC-2 has a lamp case which Mr.Yoshida said "that is my design" ,a little before the AC-2, Mr.Tamura joined as a modeler. Mr.Yoshida left the team after AC-2 completed.

kats