IGNORED

24th October 1969 - The S30-series Z public debut.

HS30-H

Carl,

I am a little bit confused....

The first statement (taken from "who designed the S30" thread-post 61) of yours corresponds to the first photo, the second statement and photo from a few posts above on this post.

I think it is now quite clear that Mr. Goertz had nothing what so ever to do with the A550-X - and that the metal prototype {pictured below} represents the Nissan 2000GT - built by Yamaha for Nissan, and which was delivered to Nissan - does in fact represent the extent of Mr. Goertz involvement. [the first photo]

FWIW,

Carl B.

hasten to add for everyone - the final Goertz/Yamaha Prototype stayed at Yamaha, as Nissan had only contracted for Yamaha to build one working prototype - which was delivered to Nissan after the Joint Project was cancelled. That first iteration of the Nissan 2000GT, looked quite different.

FWIW,

Carl B.

You can't give Goertz credit for helping on only one car (and only assisting) for then to say the second ("later/final") car is a joint Geortz/Yamaha collaboration. The whole project was a joint Nissan/Yamaha collaboration, with Japanese employee's of both companies first and foremost, with Goertz a minor player (given his limited time under a Nissan contract as a advisor). And on your Zhome page, you show the second car saying that it is a Yamaha A550X (using Shin Yoshikawa's book as the source).

post-6856-14150816076472_thumb.jpg

post-6856-14150816076777_thumb.jpg

Hi RIP260Z:

I'm sure you have very valid points there.

This discussion thread was started two years ago - and long before that and since that - we've had many very involved discussions on the subject of Mr. Goertz's involvement or influence. For that matter the involvement or influence of others as well.

I have to say that over the years - as Kats has brought ever more inside information, gathered from ever more sources present on the design teams... it has been ever more difficult to capture more than just the essence of the story - in any way that isn't subject to refute by someone.

My mind has changed back and forth on several specifics - - and I'll take a look at the article you reference on the Z Car Home page - perhaps it's time to simply delete any mention of Goertz.

As for past discussion - they are just that - past discussions - and yes there are lots of conflicting thoughts and opinions from year to year.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

So here we are, 24th October 2018 and the 49th anniversary of the doors opening to the general public at the 1969 Tokyo Motor Show - the official public debut of Nissan's S30-series Z car range.

Here's looking forward to the Big 50...

Alan - many thanks for reviving this post.  Fantastic reading.

Curious in this advert, the one car has no paint protector on the bumper and no bumper rubber whatsoever?  Vs the 432 has it?  Also notice the holes for the bumperettes, but no bumperettes?

Interesting to not see the paint bumper protector in so many restorations? 

Z.PNG

• Like 2