IGNORED

heat shield for triple Webers

george71z

I am currently using an .090 plate of aluminum attached to the underside of my carbs. I still seem to get the fuel 'pukeing' effect from the Webers on longer drives. I end up with fuel on the shield and down on the left frame rail. Someone mentioned to me that the plate needs to have insulation on it, i.e. header wrap or similar, to actually block the transfer of heat from the header. My question is, should the insulator be exposed or open; or would a sandwich of aluminum, insulation and aluminum be OK? Also, should there be some sort of insulating washer between the shield and the mtg. points on the carbs?

George,

This is what I did: Two pieces of aluminum which in between I sandwiched a sheet of header wrap. I then riveted the two pieces together. I have had no percolating problems at all. Photos should give you an idea of the construction and attachment.

post-7417-14150808663018_thumb.jpg

post-7417-14150808663748_thumb.jpg

post-7417-14150808665086_thumb.jpg

post-7417-14150808665688_thumb.jpg

Edited by ZIII

George,

I absolutely Love the mat black finish in the engine bay. It that a crinkle finish or just flat black? Sorry to change the subject but I gotta know.

By the way, when I had my triples, I didn't have any overheat issues with the 40DCOE's but I'm sure the weather up here in the Great NW doesn't compare to El Paso, TX.

Dave

Dave,

The engine bay is flat black...then waxed... it can get somewhat hot here in the summer which can last from April to Sept but this shield has certainly done the trick.

If you look closely, with your x-ray eyes, you will no doubt notice both of your wiring harnesses. I cannot tell you what a great transformation they have made.

Didn't see them but then again, all the chemicals I'm around all day in the garage, have really messed with my X-Ray vision. Hell, the kids are taking advantage of it by doing stuff and getting away with it.

Glad you like them, 5 years and a few thousand customers can't be all that wrong. Looks great.

Dave

George,

This is what I did: Two pieces of aluminum which in between I sandwiched a sheet of header wrap. I then riveted the two pieces together. I have had no percolating problems at all. Photos should give you an idea of the construction and attachment.

Any chance you'd like to make another one for a fellow Texan? ;)

I built the shield with what I had laying around the garage and to make another one I would have to go out and purchase all the materials which is not something I really would like to do.... however, nice touch in appealing to a fellow Texan.... you almost had me.....

I built the shield with what I had laying around the garage and to make another one I would have to go out and purchase all the materials which is not something I really would like to do.... however, nice touch in appealing to a fellow Texan.... you almost had me.....

Bummer!! :(

I do what I can (appealing to a fellow Texan). It gets hot here in Austin too...68 days this year over 100* if I recall correctly...brain got a little fried along with all the grass, plants, trees, etc. and no water in the lake to ski either.

I really like the looks of what you did plus it's tested in the heat. I don't have the materials etc to do one like that and figured if I could have one made and kick you a few bucks all would be good...I'd have a heat shield and you'd have beer/Z car parts money.

Yeah George, that engine bay looks awesome.

FYI- A sandwich of aluminum will certianly do the trick and be rigid. In the essence of making things fast and easy to remove, we use a single piece of aluminum along with a foil backed foam that the race shops sell. The foam is made for that purpose and gives the insulation value plus the block against radiant heat. It's semi rigid, not like the normal mat materials you see.

I got it from Trackside Tim. www.tracksidetim.com

Greg Ira

• 2 years later...