IGNORED

E-tek RACING '71 Parts Car Resto

e-tek

Pretty darn nice!

I'm encouraged to see your results using the Duplicolor products. Did you have problem finding it in stock locally? I believe you mentioned having to wait for some of it to arrive. Who did you order it from?

I'm considering attempting some self-painting this winter on the next project. Your results are leading me to believe a "decent" DIY job is in fact possible.

Full disclosure is that I applied to be on something called the Dupli-color paint crew, a random group of DIY'rs across the US and me - from Canada. They supplied their products and we posted on their FB site about their use and results. So, when I said I had to wait for more paint, it came directly from Dupli-Color. We were not told what to do, how to do it or what to say.

With that said, it's a basic lacquer paint, which was always a very EASY paint to use. It was only discontinued because 2 part urethanes address the 2 major drawbacks of lacquer: durability and shine right out of the gun.

The Dupli-Color paint does not require a hardener, mixing, or reducing. It's used right out of the can and has no re-coat window, meaning you can spray a second coat anytime after the first. As well, you can spot in a repair spot very easily with lacquers, whereas with urethanes you can spot the base but generally have to clear an entire panel.

The DC paint is also MUCH less expensive. I did a 40 Ford in base/clear (urethane) last month and the paint was $800. The DC is $30 a quart and it took 4 quarts of color and 4 coats clear, for $240.

Looks great. She'll really stand out of the crowd.

Judging by the number or blue zeds just on this site, Me thinks you're being facetious! HaHa!

Very nice, I like the color a lot more. We are still neck and neck. Mine got painted on Friday and I pick it up next week.

That is AWESOME! Who woulda thought when you sold me those panels years ago we'd be at paint at the same time! I guess it's a fun winter of re-assembly for us both!

Judging by the number or blue zeds just on this site, Me thinks you're being facetious! HaHa!

Oh, I was just thinking generally. You don't see too much in that range of blue on the road, at least not around here. Maybe a Subaru would be close...

I use a mobile glass service called Showtime Glass here in Saskatoon because the owner, Chase, does great work and stands behind it. Today he needed his crew to do the work, which I wasn't crazy about, but I learned later it was because he had broken his elbow in a skate boarding accident. He still showed up however, to supervise and lend a (good) hand to make sure it was done to his standards:

post-18557-14150825869811_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150825870044_thumb.jpg

Cleaning the trim/insert pieces:

post-18557-14150825870514_thumb.jpg

post-18557-14150825870281_thumb.jpg

That'll be it for work on the Z for a while. I wanted to get paint on and the glass in during good weather so that I could work on it in the winter when I'm between other work.

This will give Dan a chance to get ahead of me though - so I won't be leaving it for too long!! LOL! ;)

Thanks for following along!