IGNORED

Strut insulators

Cutlass372

Thanks Carl.. I've not been to lucky finding a new set of coils that will fit the perch of a 240z/260z/280z and give me 1inch more of stock height in a 240z application.

So I can certainly use advice.... so here's my logic:

Since the 260z/280z weighs more than a 240z by roughly 100lbs on a rear coil the compressed length of the stock 260z/280z coil you reference is ~9.6" . Therefore if used in a 240z the compressed height would be 10.4" which is 2" higher as you suggest.

My thought in trying the 260z/280z Eibach coils which have a 13.25" free length in the rear is as follows. They drop a 260z/280z by ~1" bringing the compressed length to ~8.6". Since the 240z is ~100lbs lighter I'll see 1/2" or maybe 1" lift in the 240z application. MSA said the average spring rate is ~185 lb/in the 260z/280z operating range.

I also have a pair of Autozone coils coming that fit the Front of a 280zx that are suppose to fit the perch of 240z/260z/280z: 11.4mm(3.94") Outer Diameter (12.1" free length, 0.515" wire dia., no spec on spring rate, I hope ~180 lb/in). This may get me close to the stock compressed height the 8.5" or maybe 1/2" higher.

Then using the 260z/280z Stut Insulator in a 240z is my last resort to get me ~3/4" or so lift.

Anyway .. any other advice is welcome...

Edited by moritz55

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought I'd update you all on my search to find Stock height Rear springs for my 240z as I try to raise it 1.5" from it's current position (it's low ~1" from stock height).

I bought Eibach performance springs from MSA for a 260z-280z ('74 - '78).

Fronts: 6303-001 (10-5/8" Free Length with 173 lb/in spring constant)

Rears: 6303-002 ( 12-1/2" Free Length with Progressive rates 150-200+ lb/in)

I then had a lab run Instron compression data for me and thought I'd post it so anyone can use this for other installations and compare to their current or stock springs. Eibach's 260z/280z performance springs get pretty close to stock height for a 240z.

Here's my summary on how to achieve Stock Coil Springs off-the-shelf since Arizona-Z is out of Rear Coils:

For a 240z Rear Stock Height - the Eibach 280z rear progressive spring achieves 8.5" compression at 635lbs full load.

For a 240z Front ~Stock Height - Eibach 280z front 173 lb/in springs drop the front about 5/6" to 3/4". This actually brings the 240z nicely level such that the front is not slightly higher than the rear as designed.

In my case I'm now in the process of taking my rear coils and struts apart. As I did this - my Rubber Spacer and Strut Insulator were pretty crushed... to a point where they were 5/8"-11/16" lower than stock design compared to new ones from MSA.

Next step - I'll take my 37year-old rear coils and have them Instron compression tested to see how they compare to the original 103 lb/in spring constant and thus ride height. I'm hoping I'll see another 1/2" lower ride height at 635lbs load which explains why my car rear was ~1" lower than stock. If this is true I'll be installing all stock parts (New Urethane Spacer, New 240z Srtut Insulator) with the 280z Eibach 6303-002 Rear Srping and New Tokico HP Rear shocks. Hope this get's me 1"-1.25" increase in rear height.

Anyway .... stay tuned.

Eibach 280z Spring-Data.doc

Edited by moritz55

Mark, I just saw this thread. I think what you may want to find is a set of the Nissan Euro Stage 1 springs - either original or a set of the reproduction set that Courtesy sold a few years ago. I'm betting someone around here still has a set from the Courtesy run.

What those of us who installed those springs found was they they will raise the ride height of a US-spec 240Z by at least 3/4". I had to cut down my set significantly to get the ride height back down to stock. If you are truly wanting to raise yours to higher than stock height, those would be what I would use.

Hey all, When I rebuilt my suspension a while back with poly bushings, I lubed them up with an evil concoction of the Silicone that they provide with the kit and Anti-Seize compound. I learned the tip from another forum and it really works! It kind of makes sense if you think about it - Have you ever tried get Anti-Seize off your hands?!!

Thanks Arne, I've been checking around and have not been lucky on finding Euro Stage I 's .

Now that I have my car apart, and found my rear sat low by ~5/8" becuase of compressed 37yr old strut insulators and rubber spacers - I'll replace them with MSA new parts. Also the driver rear had a 280zx Tokico shock in it (HZ3038) vs the 240z HZ38016 correct one. Not sure how a 280zx shock on the driver side will make a difference - but the driver side sat 1/4" lower than the passenger side. With New Rear HP Tokico's, along with the New Eibach 280z Rear 6303-002 progressive springs - I'll get stock height or maybe 1/4"-3/8 higher ride once it settles in for me. It will be firmer also since Eibach's are at 200 lb/in compressed to 8.5", the full 635lb load ride height for the 240z.

What I'll do next is drop my Front by ~1/2" by cutting the Eibach 280z Front coil 6303-001 just a bit (I'm thinking 1/2 to 3/4 coil cut off. Today my front sits at stock height - but I'd like to drop it ~1/2.

I'll let you know how it turns out as I try to finish this up this week.

Many thanks......

Edited by moritz55

• 2 weeks later...

Well for those that may be interested in getting a 240z to stock height with a performance/progressive spring set.

I finished the installation of my Eibacks with MSA 240z Tokico HP shocks. I used the Eibach 280z coils for a '74-'78 260z/280z from MSA as I mentioned above, Fronts -001 and rears -002 as described with the kit.

They lower the 260z/280z about 1" ... but yield stock height when used on a 240z, yet with a firmer and better handling ride

My tires are 205/65/15's .. 3/8" higher than the stock tires (195/70/14) so I've reduced my measurements to account for this slight increase due to tire height...

==> Front true height (ground to fender tire arch) is: 26-1/8" (~1/2" lower than stock).

(I cut 1 full top coil off the Eibach -001 to lower it slightly from stock level).

==> Rear true height (ground to fender arch) is: 26-1/2" (~1/2" higher than stock)

(Rears installed as-is from Eibach -002, new MSA strut insulator for 240z and new MSA urethane spacers for 240z).

I really wanted my car to sit with the front 3/4" to 1" lower than the rear to keep the nose down when cruising on the highway. It turned out pretty close. The photos below reflect my recent installion with just about 10miles on the car. It may settle a little more over time.

post-14684-14150809348678_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150809349274_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150809349859_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150809350442_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150809351021_thumb.jpg

post-14684-14150809351603_thumb.jpg

Edited by moritz55

Well .. I finally took the car out last night after changing my engine oil as I get it ready to be tucked away for winter. Put about 15miles on it .. city & highway.

I noticed immediately how much firmer the handling and ride was.... I like it a lot. Very responsive on the front when steering sharp and simple cornering seems tighter and not as mushy... the rear of the car does not rock or roll is my best description. Even with my tires 8lbs over inflated (~38psi) as I keep them hard for winter storage to minize flat spots, the ride is very comfortable.

Sitting in the car I noticed immediately real good front visibility (less hood) becase the hood front is a tad lower combined with my rear not saging when sitting in the car - it's nice and firm. With the Eibach coils and having 2 adults in the car - my rear only drops about 1/2" from Free Height position. Previously with original stock coils (~94 lb/in spring rate after 37yrs) the car would squat between 1.25" - 1.5" with 2 adults seated, thus squatting almost 2" lower than Stock Free Height.

Today it only squats about 1/2" lower than Free Stock Height with 2 adults.... I like this.

When driving with the new shocks and coils I feel the bumps, but they are actually very dampened and actually better than before. My rear bumps were so hard previously on the car I'd hear bad rattles, now they are reduced even with extra hard tires.

Attached are the Instron Load curves (it's posted in earlier replies above) for the Eibach Springs I used; 260z/280z set of coils. Fronts are a constant spring rate where as rears are a progressive spring rate.

In general I'm really glad I spent the time and went down this path. Especially with the wider tires, my negative camber in the rear should be less as well. I'll get the front aligned in the Spring '10 and get rear alignment data to see how much my rear camber really is now.

My other post with some 280z Eibach / Spring data for a 240z:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36748

Hope it helps others... Many thanks

Eibach 280z Spring-Data.doc

Edited by moritz55
Ride is great - Eibach Springs - Stock 240z height

12/27/09 ... I took the car out for nice 50mile ride this past weekend mostly highway. We had a warm Sunny day ~45F in New York and roads dried up after a nice rain all night.

The ride was simply terrific, soft enough for bumps to be felt, definitely not bone jarring... nice and firm. I got it up to 85-90MPH for a period and the car did not have that "floating" feel, it was tight to the road. Also when accelerating hard, I did not feel any "squatting". The Eibach 280z coils with 240z Tokico HP shocks from MSA in rear make it real firm. With 1 adult (~175lbs) rear only dropped ~1/4-3/8" .. not much at all.

The car settled a bit now with 70miles on it. My final height with 195/70/14 tires from ground to wheel well arch center:

Front: 26-1/8" (1/2" lower than stock.. 1 top coil cut from front 280z Eibach coil).

Rear: 26-1/2" (stock height, 280z rear coil installed as-is).

Note: I Corrected for my tire size (205/65/15) which has a 3/8" larger radius ==> thus higher from the ground.

Any way ... thanks for the encouragement...... Happy New Year to all !!

Edited by moritz55

• 2 weeks later...