IGNORED

Engine Upgrades...Help..?

Zdriver19

Ok so I'm running a '76 280z and the engine is all factory. The only things I have done is I've replaced the distributor cap/rotors, spark plugs and wires. Im looking to do some engine work to beef this thing up..I guess I would just like to know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Peace,

John

Headers and high flow exhaust first. All other engine mods will work to their fullest if the exhaust is tuned (headers) and free flowing.

Steve

Well im 19 and this is my first car. When I thought about buying a car i thought..I really dont know much about cars or how to assemble/disassemble, fix or really do anything with them. I knew the only way to learn was to get a car that needed some work..not thousands of dollars, but enough so i could learn. This was what I needed. So far I have replaced the distributor, changed the piston rings and head gasket, refurbished the exhaust manifold, pulled and fixed the heating core, rewired the stereo wiring harness and carpeted the inside, all with no help or manuals. I know its not a lot, or anything to brag about considering most everyone here can do that blind folded haha, but Im a quick learner and I am very interested in how cars work and making them work better.

Right now my car is in good shape. Yes it can sit for a while and i will have other transportation. And no way is my wallet a wishing well.

I was just looking for some advice on how to put so pepper in this old Z..not turn it into the bat mobile!

You'll never learn if you don't ask questions.

Thanks for the help you guys!

-John

Thanks for taking the time to answer some very important questions...But your answers make me curious?

You changed the head gasket and piston rings with no manual or instructions? I am concerned. Where did you get your rings, how did you get them the correct size, what did you torque everything down to without a manual to tell you proper torque specs. Did you have the cylinders honed before putting the pistons back in?

For a guy with no wrench experience, you have tackled some hugely technical jobs.

Well to be fair I was able to stumble upon all the correct torque specs from this sight..everyone here posess a deep knowledge about datsuns and cars in general. I was able to get the cylinders honed before replacing the pistons. My girlfreinds dad is an encyclopedia of car knowledge and has been generous with his time and knowledge.

When I launched this question out there I definitely could have been more specific. I was more so looking for so insight on how to tune up the engine and make it run better and stronger, than anything. I figured if I asked a somewhat vague question, I would get plenty of answers.. Sorry for all this confusion! Everyone has been a tremendous help. I have just taken a strong interest in cars and want to learn more..This seems like as good a place as any.

-John