IGNORED

Window cleaning

73_240z

I was wondering if anyone has a technique for removing water stains from a rear hatch window. I bought a rear hatch that was in very good shape, unfortunately it was stored outside for a while. It has these dried water stains on the glass and I have tried scrubbing Windex but it doesn't do any good.

Thanks for your help.

I've heard of using a white scotch scrubby pad.

I've also heard of being careful and using CLR (Calcium, Lime, Rust remover)

I also have NOT heard of resounding success with either one of those methods, although some success has been mentioned.

One member here has used Adam's Swirl Remover and claims fantastic success. His windows DO look spotless, so maybe that is the ticket.

FWIW

E

I haven't done this on the Z, but have had some success in the past with dedicated glass polish applied via foam pad on an orbital buffer.

I've also heard that some of the products for spots on glass shower doors will do the trick. I *THINK* most use a mild phosphoric acid solution, but please don't try that relying on my memory alone!

I've used the eastwood kit to remove deep scratches from my winshield where a PO must have run the wipers with no blades. Water spots or etching from acid rain would be trivial compared to that.

Edit: this kit may be even better if it's just acid rain:

http://www.eastwood.com/diamondite-glass-cleaning-system.html

Edited by MikeW

I've used the eastwood kit to remove deep scratches from my winshield where a PO must have run the wipers with no blades. Water spots or etching from acid rain would be trivial compared to that.

Edit: this kit may be even better if it's just acid rain:

http://www.eastwood.com/diamondite-glass-cleaning-system.html

Thanks for zeroing in on that one Mike. I figured I would send a link to all the products they offer but that is the one I was referring to. Nice to know the deep scratch kit works, I have some very fine scratches on my driver window, I will now have to add that kit on my list of (many) things I need.

If it's just calcium or other mineral deposits vinegar and water will do the trick. Start with a 50/50 mixture and move towards 100% vinegar. I tried several bathroom cleaners including CLR on a glass shower door and the only thing that worked was vinegar. If we're talking about cleaning the inside of the window where the defrost strips are I would proceed with extreme caution regardless of what solution you are using.

Thanks for zeroing in on that one Mike. I figured I would send a link to all the products they offer but that is the one I was referring to. Nice to know the deep scratch kit works, I have some very fine scratches on my driver window, I will now have to add that kit on my list of (many) things I need.

The deep scratch kit uses colored abrasive pads that take off a lot of glass. The second part uses a hard felt pad and a powdered compound that you mix with water until it's like gravy. I bought them together as a kit but unless the scratches are deep enough to feel with your fingernail you only need the polishing kit. I don't have any experience with the other kit. It may not actually remove any glass but rather clean it really well and then fill in the low spots with the sealer, whatever that is.