IGNORED

Series 1 Hatch vents instal ?

Dayz

Guys,

I need to install the grill/vent in the hatch of a 1970 Series 1. How does it work?

The grill piece has pins in the back that attach itself to the duct in some way.

Well what is that way?

Basically, How do you attached the Duct to the hatch and the grill to the hatch.

If you guys have any pics that would be great.

Dayz

Edited by Dayz

There are two small metal clips that attach to the left and right sides of the vent opening. They have a hole that the pins go through. If you don't have the clips you might be able to make something similar or just use something like Automotive Goop to hold the trim pieces on.

-Mike

• 2 months later...
Thanks Mike, I will see what I can do. Basically, the pins from the grill attaches itself to the metal clip from the vent/duct.

Thanks

Dayz

Going from memory (30 plus years ago), you had to put the little clips

(pin grabbers) in the holes in the sheet metal first, then press the pins

on whichever badge or hatch grille you are installing, into the clips.

But a friend who is re-doing his '70 said the clips are virtually impossible

to obtain anymore, so you might have to improvise as Mike said........

All Z Best,..........................Kathy & Rick

Oh my! Let's go back to that thread MikeB was so kind to reference. Here is a picture of the clip. This clip holds the ducts to the hatch and the grill pin snaps through the hole in the pin. That's how this installation came from the factory.

post-4148-14150808609248_thumb.jpg

Rick;

The "pin grabber" clips you are referring to are commonly known as "Barrel Clips". A good automotive trim store will have them in various sizes, depths and thickness of metal to apply to. Even Lowe's and Home Depot's specialty fastener section has them as well as True Value. They're not impossible to locate.

However, as has been mentioned, those are NOT the correct ones for the hatch grill in the 70.

On a separate note, for those who decide to pursue new barrel clips for their emblems:

The barrel is sized according to the hole in the sheet metal of the car as well as how thick the sheet metal is. Additionally, some badge/emblem pins are either a bit oversized because they are new or have been shaved down by repeated insertion/removal from the car. The end result is that it is difficult to "eyeball" a replacement.

If you have one from your car that you can check measurements on, you'll be miles ahead. If you do not, then use a drill bit to ascertain the exact size of the hole you will be inserting the barrel clip into (they insert from the outside of the car). Next, get a good idea as to how thick the metal is. This is generally NOT a problem or consideration as car sheet metal is pretty much generic, but there ARE clips made to be used on frame members where the metal is considerably thicker, avoid those.

Lastly, examine your emblem pin, it may have been thinned down previously. If it has been seriously undersized, it may be difficult/impossible to find a good barrel clip that will fit the hole in the sheet metal and still accept a thin pin and GRIP it. For some pins it's easier to use stamped sheet metal nuts that will thread onto the pin, or use some Goop on the back side.

The barrel clip, while it can be inserted by putting it on the emblem pin and then inserting into the sheet metal, will tend to get over-compressed and then bite even deeper into the emblem pin making future removal difficult. While it will definitely help to ensure that your emblem does not fly off, it will probably cause you to lose a pin if you ever DO remove the emblem. Try inserting the barrel clip first, then inserting the emblem pin.

One important note, the barrel clip tends to grip the metal both inside and outside surfaces by "biting" into it with small sharp points. The clips themselves WILL rust eventually, as well as cause problems on the sheet metal of the car. You could go crazy trying to figure out a way to avoid this, but it's the way they work. If you want to minimize and possibly avoid this problem, you can dab a little bit of clear nail polish into the barrel clip just before you insert the emblem's pins. Silicone (plain) would work as well, but it grips stronger than the polish. Don't use Goop unless you NEVER plan on removing that emblem.

As a last note, and this is a "detailer" trick.

If you find yourself wishing you could remove your emblems so you could wax the paint around, and in between the letters/symbols of the emblem, then IF you can reach the backside of the sheet metal, (as with hoods/fenders), get some Silicone Tubing as used by the R/C modelers. This tubing will grip the pin snugly and will be removeable so you can remove your emblem, wax your car, and replace the emblem quickly and neatly, thereby avoiding those unsightly wax clumps/detritus around your emblem's edges.

FWIW

E

Edited by EScanlon

When I reinstalled mine, I too ran into the snag of not having the right clips. But being a stereo installer, I had a butt load of "Speed Clips" That are metal clips that come with almost every set of after market speakers. Having a few hundred handy, I found 4 that fit the tabs of the vents.

Worked great and 2 weeks after I did it, I found the clips I really needed at my local "WESCO" automotive Paint Supply store.

Dave