IGNORED

temp gauge.

yetterben

Good question.

I believe that Bruce Palmer (search for that user name) was setting up a group buy on adhesive temperature tape to attach to the thermostat housing so people could get a more accurate reading on what the real temperature is right at the engine coolant outlet.

There is some debate, but "one needle above the middle" is probably a good reading.

Those LC thermometers are cool, huh? I had lots of different ones that I put on electric motors at work, and one on my sunvisor. The roof of my daily car gets up to 125 F!

IMO, I think that you should be able to get them with a target temp of 185 with a range of +/- 30F without too much trouble. Don't forget to ask for the samples pack.

Edited by TomoHawk

what is middle of the gauge in a 240 temp wise. mine has always been one needle above the middle. 185 thermo installed.

I think you are good to go. Although knowing exactly what is going on is always good. Remember that the temp and oil gages and most times gas as well, are just a approximation of what is happening. As an example my oil pressure gage at idle is way low with a warmed engine . However when I installed a mechanical gage it reads 25 psi when driving the OEM gage shows right in the center. The mechanical reads 50 psi. With a engine not up to temp and running at 2K the OEM shows 3/4 to the 70 psi reading . The mechanical read 70 for the same scenario.

• 9 months later...

I have 2 temperature gauges installed. My 1978, after it's been running has the needle(dash gauge) in the middle and my Autometer Temp gauge reads 190.

The car has a 160 Thermostat and a new radiator (both from Autozone)