IGNORED

Negative offset

Diseazd

The point of running a 5 or 5.25 inch backspace is so that you can fit a wider wheel under the car. I wouldn't do that with a 15x7 because as Carl said the wheel will be pretty far underneath the car. I'd do it with a 15x8 or 15x9. Lots of info at Hybrid Z on wheel fitment, how far you can go, etc. There was a guy by the name of Clifton running a 275mm tire on a 17 inch rim under stock fenders, and it rubbed the inside fender well, not the lip.

Rolling the fenders as Carl suggests will give you more clearance. I've done it with a baseball bat, just be careful. There are now tools to do this too, Harbor Freight carries one that bolts to the axle and has a polyurethane roller.

Panasports are heavy wheels. Unless you're in it for the classic look I'd suggest something lighter.

Remember that the panasports are forged wheels and cannot be repaired and unless you have the 3 piece wheels you most likely would have to change wheels to move them.

Hi Les:

Everything I can find says that the Panasports are cast aluminum alloy - not forged wheels.

Earlier discussion here:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29585

It seems that everyone was saying that a forged wheel would be far lighter and stronger than either the Street or Racing Panasports.

Panasports Web site mentions only casting.. Am I missing something some where?

FWIW,

Carl B.

WOW! Webdog......By clicking on to "SIZES GUIDE" you can really answer a ton of questions. I'm currently running 225-50-16's and it looks like (not sure yet 'cause I'm still in the process of installing coilovers) that those tires may rub on the fender lip. However when you plug in the 205-55-16's, you loose .8" total or .4" on each side which may work fine! Much cheaper than a new set of Panasports.

Hi Guy:

Copied below - simply for information purposes, is the note I sent and the reply I received from WeldCraftWheels.com .

If anyone has any interest feel free to contact James directly.

= = = = = = = = = == = =

To: "Carl Beck" <beck@becksystems.com>

Subject: Re: Wheels - Panasport Aluminum

Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:56:14 -0400

Hello,

I have welded forged and cast aluminum wheels as well as spun aluminum wheels .... no problems.

What size are your wheels and how much do you want to add?

James

----- Original Message -----

To: <James@Weldcraftwheels.com>

Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 2:46 PM

Subject: Wheels - Panasport Aluminum

Hello James:

I was looking at your Web Site - because a friend of mine ask about widening his Panasport Aluminum wheels.

Another friend tells us that the Panasports can not be widened/repaired because they are Forged Aluminum Wheels. I don't believe that is the case, as everything I can find indicates that they are cast aluminum alloy.

Nonetheless - I don't see any exception noted on your Web Site related to "Forged Aluminum" wheels. So I thought I'd contact you to see what you say? If one had a set of Forged Aluminum wheels, is there any reason they couldn't be modified?

thanks,

Carl

Carl Beck, President

Internet Z Car Club

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Guy, it might not help enough, but the Panasports that MSA sells are 16x7 +6 offset vs. zero offset for most other Panasport retailers. Mine are zero offset and I had a heck of a time getting the rears to fit with 225/50R16 tires. I tried rolling the lips, but they still rubbed (as seen by the grooves cut in the tire), so I had to trim close to 10mm off the flanges. I have a ton of room on the inside, however. Even if you go with a +12, you would just clear the rear lips with a 225/50, so I'm not sure how much more offset you would need to clear the lip and still clear the strut if you go with a wider tire. It WILL help if the tire is shorter.

I pulled my springs so I could trim only where needed for full jounce travel.

You can see here what a zero offset with P225/50R16 Hankook RS-2 and 10mm of trimming looks like. The suspension is in full jounce and the tire just BARELY clears

IMG_4121.jpg

Here is the trimmed fender. You can see how the lip is tapered from stock to highly trimmed

IMG_4132.jpg

Hi Guy:

Copied below - simply for information purposes, is the note I sent and the reply I received from WeldCraftWheels.com .

If anyone has any interest feel free to contact James directly.

= = = = = = = = = == = =

To: "Carl Beck" <beck@becksystems.com>

Subject: Re: Wheels - Panasport Aluminum

Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 07:56:14 -0400

Hello,

I have welded forged and cast aluminum wheels as well as spun aluminum wheels .... no problems.

What size are your wheels and how much do you want to add?

James

----- Original Message -----

To: <James@Weldcraftwheels.com>

Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 2:46 PM

Subject: Wheels - Panasport Aluminum

Hello James:

I was looking at your Web Site - because a friend of mine ask about widening his Panasport Aluminum wheels.

Another friend tells us that the Panasports can not be widened/repaired because they are Forged Aluminum Wheels. I don't believe that is the case, as everything I can find indicates that they are cast aluminum alloy.

Nonetheless - I don't see any exception noted on your Web Site related to "Forged Aluminum" wheels. So I thought I'd contact you to see what you say? If one had a set of Forged Aluminum wheels, is there any reason they couldn't be modified?

thanks,

Carl

Carl Beck, President

Internet Z Car Club

Clearwater, FL USA

http://ZHome.com

We have had cast wheels widened and while it is common, they will never be as true after widening and they sometimes have very slow leaks. Once cut, the wheels distort badly from the internal stresses, so the wheel fabricator must do everything they can to keep them round. Even the best fabricators cannot get them perfectly round again.

I did take a 5100 lb truck up to 164mph on widened wheels, so I did trust them, but there was a constant vibration that I didn't like. We went from an 18x9.5" to an 18x11".

Jeff......Appreciate the comeback......I think I will need to go to a 205-55-16 tire......I'm running 225-50-16's now on the green Z. I only rub when bottoming out or turning hard in reverse (rubs front valence). I've got 205-50-16's on the white car.....that tire is .8" shorter and almost an inch narrower than the 225's. The 205-55-16's should do the trick, and on the street the narrower tire doesn't tend to wander as much. It is important for future Panasport buyers to have the facts on offset before they buy. Trial and error is an expensive way to learn!!!!

Even a 225/45R16 will save you almost 3/4" in overall height. I chose the 225/50 tires due to their availability and to give me a taller sidewall. Our Michigan roads are horrible and I don't want to bend a rim.

BTW, my Hankooks are fantastic tires. They run very smoothly, are quiet and I have no wander. I do still have front run while backing, but I haven't tried trimming yet. I will probably wait until I get an air dam so I don't have to do it twice.

Jeff......You can notch the front valence at the bolt nearest the wheel and get some adjustment w/o cutting metal. The 225's look awesome, but have some limitations. Can't wait to try the 205-55-16's. Guy