IGNORED

A review of what's gone - period 240Z exhausts

Arne

That's a good find. Remember that Monza no longer makes a 240Z muffler, only 280Z, which have horizontal tips similar to your 510 muffler.

The story behind it (being an "orphan") is about the same as how I snagged my early Monza, from before the full muffler that they used for 240Zs at the end.

attachment.php?attachmentid=31153&d=1250358393

Edited by Arne
typo

Arne, your Monza muffler looks like dual glass packs. How loud are these mufflers (one post said they sound like angry bees). The input to my muffler is slightly less that 1.75"...how big is the MSA pipe going into their muffler? Thanks for a great post.

Not sure how loud it is by itself, I have a 24" glass pack in the tunnel as well. With that glasspack, the sound is not loud, but really smooth and sweet.

The MSA exhaust is 2 1/2" tube.

I have a 73 240. When I bouight the car it had a stainless steel 2 into 1 system on it. The first 5 feet or so were seperate pipes merging into a 2 1/2' pipe behind the tranny. When I put the round tops on I removed the cast iron manifolds in favor of a header and cut out the dual pipes and went stainless 2 1/2' all the way to the header collector flange. Can't say what if any power gains I got from the header addition, but I know the intake/ exhaust changes gave me a butt load of performance VS. the stock crap I pulled off. BTW I still have the dual stainless pipe and am planning on selling it, since I haven't seen one anywhere else, and from what I can tell the part is mfg. discontinued. Would anybody here have any idea of what it's worth (performance or money wise)?

Edited by 5thhorsemann

The hot setup in the 70's was the Whisper Power exhaust system by Interpart. It used a 6 to 1 header with a 2 1/2 inch pipe and used the standard "turbo" muffler (as in Corvair turbo) that everyone used back then for high performance applications. It finished with a flared chrome exhaust tip. Anyone that was serious about Z performance in those days used this setup or built something similar. The exhaust systems shown above were more for looks and didn't do much for power. If you look through period car magazines like R&T or Car and Driver you will find their ads. How do I know all this? I was there, dude.

Off topic but relevant to the MSA exhaust discussion. IMHO, the MSA Dynomax muffler fits and looks fine. This is the aluminized 2.5" exhaust system, made for the 6 into 1 header. It is pretty darned loud, Ferrari like, for such a small looking tailpipe. I think the Dynomax muffler looks quite tidy under the 240Z. I am considering a resonator right after the header to separate myself from the "tuner crowd".

936061254_4WcEH-XL.jpg

Edited by cygnusx1

Off topic but relevant to the MSA exhaust discussion. IMHO, the MSA Dynomax muffler fits and looks fine. This is the aluminized 2.5" exhaust system, made for the 6 into 1 header. It is pretty darned loud, Ferrari like, for such a small looking tailpipe. I think the Dynomax muffler looks quite tidy under the 240Z. I am considering a resonator right after the header to separate myself from the "tuner crowd".

If you go with resonator, make sure it doesn't stop-down the flow. I would recommend a glass-pack to tame the drone while cruising. It is sad that MSA has not addressed this by now. Check this out: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/exhaust/index.html

Edited by Blue

cygnusx1 You could replicate with larger pipe one of the old setups, Jones exhaust makes a resonator that matches the size of the SuperSprint resonators, except they don't make one with the inlet and outlet at 1.25", the smallest was 1.5". They have the same body size up-to 2".