IGNORED

1970 Z Refresh...biting the bullet

motorman7

Is the finish on the air gallery still holding up?

It seems to be doing well, but I haven't really taken it on a long drive. I have only driven a couple times around the neighborhood. There seems to be a small bit of discolor near the manifold fittings, but just barely. I will take it for a couple longer drives (two shows coming up) in the next few weeks and will have a better idea. I will have a full report after the JCCS show

• 1 year later...

It is a sad day in the life of HLS30-02614. Yesterday around 4:00 PM William Rodner, the original owner of HLS30-02614 passed away at the age of 88. He lived and long and good life and took phenomenal care of the car for 38 years.

I will keep this short. I am forever grateful that my dad had the confidence in me to pass down to me one of his greatest joys to carry on the flame. I think of him every time I see the car and still call it dad’s car. My dad taught me how to work on cars and take care of them. He was a very kind, gentle and caring man. May he rest in peace.

This is a tough time for you. I lost my Dad and I do understand. Just always try to remember the good times you had with your dad. You were lucky to have him around for a long time. Be thankful for the great times you shared.

MY dad is quite ill, and I can truly sympathize. I wish you the best and want to congratulate you on such a wonderful build. Your car and your work ethic are inspirational to me a when I roll up my sleeves for another project.

Also I am not ashamed to say I would do a great many illegal things for your style panasports.

My Condolences as well Rich. But think of it this way. From what I've read, you had a good long relationship with your father. I lost mine at age 13, due to Mesothelioma (Cancer caused by the inhalation of Asbestos) He was a welder in the ship yards in the Navy. This was before all the strict OSHA laws took place.

I'm told he was a Good man with good intensions, with a drinking problem. But I'll never know. Just thank God you got the time with him that you did.

Dave

Rich, We are really sorry to hear about the passing of your father, I was introduced to him with the story of the 70. His legacy and memory will for ever live on inbodied in that car and its story. We all are reflections of our fathers and by knowing you and your son I can tell that your dad was a great man. God Bless your family.

• 1 month later...

Went to Idaho to help mom clean up a bunch of Dad's stuff. Was nice to spend some time with her. Dad had a large Radio Room (Amateur Radio Operator) and an attic filled with stuff. We got most of it cleared out. I came away with a lot of gems related to the 1970 Z.

First off, I found dad's original engine and body manuals for the car. They are in flawless condition and were kept in a nice 3 ring binder. Also got the receipt for $6 cash for the green body manual.

Found the original purchase receipt for $3820.25 from Bob Restina Import Center in Titusville Florida.

Also, a funky accessories guide dated 1987. Have yet to look through it.

Found a cool 240Z model. Unfortunately, I am a little too late to get the advertised 'Union' sticker as the offer expired in 1975.

Found the old water pump and a set of new rear brake shoes for the Z. Still looking for the old battery cover. Dad said it was around somewhere, before he passed. Will look again when I go up here next.

The coolest thing (non-Z) is a picture on my dad on the cover of Electronics magazine. Just thought I'd share the picture here.

I have one other thing to share but will show that later as there is a story behind it that will take some time.

post-19125-14150814112562_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814113461_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814114042_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814115125_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814115794_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814116208_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150814116803_thumb.jpg

Edited by motorman7

Rich,

Those are all great finds. Those service manuals are the first editions (for the US market at least) and came three hold punched like that and the paper used on the covers is textured and more heavy duty than later editions. The magazine with your Dad on the cover is very cool too.

-Mike