IGNORED

1970 Z Refresh...biting the bullet

motorman7

Why take apart a perfectly good Z?:paranoid: I guess it's because its time. After almost 40 years of oxidation and corrosion the engine needs a bit of sprucing up. I will start dissassembling today and get the zinc plated parts cleaned and replated. Wow, there are a lot of zinc plated parts. I am plannning on doing most of the cleaning myself and then taking the parts down to Les at Classic Datsun for a final clean and plating. Looks like the brake and clutch lines will need to go as well. Unfortunate because I just got the brakes working great (rears were not operating for a period of time). I am still debating on the braided hose, but leaning towards braided. Still have most of them so I think I can make that happen. Anyway, will keep this updated with pics. Here are the before pics.

post-19125-14150807418128_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807418727_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807419304_thumb.jpg

Before you take parts out for plating - - lay everything out in rows of like parts...

Then take digital pictures of everything. That way you can lay them all out when they come back and see if you got everything back. If you didn't you will know what is missing and/or what you need to replace.

Small parts like washers, small bolts etc have a way of getting lost when a bunch of them are sent out for plating...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Before you take parts out for plating - - lay everything out in rows of like parts...

Then take digital pictures of everything. That way you can lay them all out when they come back and see if you got everything back. If you didn't you will know what is missing and/or what you need to replace.

Small parts like washers, small bolts etc have a way of getting lost when a bunch of them are sent out for plating...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the advise. I will take as many pics as I can (without getting the camera too dirty)

Man I really love the color of your Z. Is that the stock 920 gold? For some reason it looks much better than others I have seen.

Hi Adam,

Yes, the car is completely stock and untouched, except for some recent rubber hoses (seen in pics) and belt. Even the plug wires are original with 1970 stamped on them. I think the color looks better in the pics than in real life. The pic is taken after wax, before show.

Rich

I am surprised that you are going for it. Good luck with the job.

Hi Monte,

It was a tough decision. The engine bay doesn't look that bad, but the fuel rails and smog tubes were bugging me. They look pretty bad. Also, the parts that I cleaned the corrosion from look good, but now have little or no plating and are succeptable to worse corrosion. So, I figured it was all or nothing. Plus, it would look funny to have a couple 'newish' looking parts and most older. So, the only way to address it was to do the whole engine bay. That is all I am planning for now. I am happy with everything else on the car. Thanks for the best wishes.

Best Regards,

Rich

Well, got most of the engine parts out. Will take out the brake lines tomorrow or Tuesday. The only glitch in the process was trying to take the smog tubes out of the manifold. :disappoin They are rusted in. I could only loosen two, so I have applied Liquid Wrench to the threads and will let them soak and try to loosen them again tomorrow.

The plan over the next several days is to sort the parts for plating and document them with photos. I will then clean them before taking them to Les for final clean and plate. While those are out to plate, I will clean and touch up the long block and engine bay. I will also clean and wax the engine bay paint before I start any assembly. Am also planning on cleaning all of the aluminum parts while they are off the engine. I am not palnning on a carb overhaul as they seem to be in excellent shape already. Should be fun.

Also, any tips and advice from members on this refresh is appreciated.

Rich

post-19125-14150807423531_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807424141_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1415080742473_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150807425325_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1415080742587_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

I have not ordered any yet, but it is on the list. Will probably order in July or August once I finish the refresh. I figure I will be out of commission here for a month or so. I am planning on going to the JCCS show. I always enjoy that one. Will be my first time with a car to enter though.

Best Regards,

Rich