IGNORED

new photos of logan's 73z

Yes Steve,Building my own.Complete media blasting,then rust repair.Father son project,so it should be fun for the kid.By the way do you have info for best price on floors and rear quarters at the wheel? I've seen the quarters for $100 and the pans plus supports for $350.Is that about par for these parts? Any help appreciated, Roger

Roger,

As far as the floor pans and frame rails are concerned, Zedd Findings has some real quality stuff:

http://www.datsunzparts.com/NewParts/summary.htm

With regard to body panel repair parts, Tabco is a good place to find some:

http://www.tabcobodyparts.com/html/table_of_contents.htm

As far as front fenders, I understand that you can still find them new through the Nissan dealers for a little over $200.00 each.

Good luck to you and your son on your project. My son and I had fun on the two 240Z refreshes we did. He recently graduated from college and moved out of state, so I'm all alone on the #3 refresh. Take it from me, kids grow up very quickly and I cherish the time that my son and I spent together working on and driving our Zs. I'm sure you will have the same experience with your son.

Edited by lonetreesteve
fixed URL

• 2 weeks later...

I'm almost done getting her apart.My wife thinks I'm nuts for thinking I can restore this rust bucket.After today I'm thinking she might be right.More rust has appeared as the front suspension and fender came off.I need some words of encouragement please!Roger

post-19257-14150807419881_thumb.jpg

post-19257-14150807420569_thumb.jpg

post-19257-14150807421167_thumb.jpg

post-19257-1415080742177_thumb.jpg

post-19257-14150807422345_thumb.jpg

post-19257-14150807422941_thumb.jpg

Words of encouragement. Anything you find can be fixed. Someone here has already faced everything that now confronts you. There is no better place in the world for helpful advice and encouraging words. Always keep your eyes on the prize!;)

Hi Roger:

Words Of Encouragement: I encourage you to cut your loss at this point. You have now learned how to disassemble a 240-Z, as well as what to look for when you inspect another one in the future.

Looking at the rust damage on that body - Cut your loss and find a 240-Z with a far better body. A project that should be fun and enjoyable - can quickly turn into a project that is simply frustrating and disheartening. Not to mention quickly becoming too expensive in terms of both time and money.

Keep whatever useful parts from that car - and find a better project car.

FWIW

Carl B.

I'm with Carl.

For rust damage that severe in those locations, can be fixed but your looking at spending lots and lots of $$$$$ and major hard work. You'll save some dollars if your a good welder/metal worker and can do that type of work yourself.

I think you would be smart to make life easier on yourself and your wallet to get a better more solid project Z Car and use your current one for parts

Just my thoughts but you have my support whichever route you decide to take ;)

I gotta agree with Carl on this one. I realize that being on the east coast or close to it is a real pisser when it comes to a "minimal rust" Z, and getting as far as you have, only to go look for another one in better shape, can be as previously said, Dishearting. BUT......

1. Take everything that is salvageable, off the car and set it aside.

2. Find another shell or better for a decent price.

3. Compare the parts of the 2 cars, as you dissasemble the #2 car. Set the best parts aside and sell the remaining parts to help make up the cost of the second shell.

The experience will move along much faster, now that you know how to disseasemble the Z's. Toss the broken stuff, sell all unused parts, and find a local place that will pay for your salvage steel.

It'll all be well worth it in the end. The fun and learning curve of building your own Z. Especially when people ask you "Damn!!, Where'd you get such a beautiful car" You can say to them "We Built it from the ground up"

Keep your chin up, and your eyes open,

Dave

Edited by Zs-ondabrain

Thanks for all the input on my son's z project.I understand the concept of trashing this beast for a better one,but living here on the east coast the odds of finding a better shell or complete better car are slim.I personally have not seen one of these cars being driven in years let alone sitting somewhere for sale.I forgot to mention I'm a master in industrial welding and fabrication,30 years worth.So I've seen alot worse projects than this,and on a much larger scale.We're gonna keep moving forward on this one.Wish us luck,I'll keep you posted with progress photos,Roger

Good Luck. Sounds like you have the skills, and know what you are getting into. I'm with you on the rarity aspect in the east. I got mine from western Kansas, and had it shipped to FL. I've had it one year, and I've only seen three other ones in FL. One of those was at a Z club meet, one was an orange one running around Daytona Beach, and the third one was sitting in the body shop next to mine, getting rust repaired. My impression of the rust issue so far is that there are many areas that can be regularly inspected, then treated as necessary. These include the insides of the doors and rockers, the floors, the frame rails ahead of the fire wall, inside the bumpers, under the battery, under the rear hatch ledge, and under the cowl. Now that I have the car refreshed, I just plan to keep those areas clean of dirt, wash the salt off them once a month, keep paint on them, and treat any rust. I'm hoping a once a year inspection and treatment program is enough. Once a year might not be enough, given how fast stuff rusts down here. I have a powder coated patio set that began rusting through the power coat in one year. I'm surprised that I don't rust.