IGNORED

1973 Console Question

ConchZ

I'm trying to restore the lid to the fuse box. It seems that in 1973 they changed how the word "choke" was applied below the yellow choke light. In 73, it seems to be printed on some sort of silver plastic that is glued on top of the black plastic panel. I have no idea what it originally looked like, as ever single picture of a 73 console shows this choke label to be worn off.

Does anyone have any idea what it should look like, and how to restore it? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Matt

post-17507-14150806724022_thumb.jpg

I can post a pic of mine when I get home at 3 PM. Its an original 73 console, and I think the work choke is written right on the light. I could be wrong, I'll check when I get home.

Thanks Weasel. I'll take any pictures of 73 fuse doors I can get.

Well, you will have one when i get home on sunday mine is fine and it have a label below the switch.

Chris

Just found this photo on the hard drive, i blew it up a little, hope it will help you.

post-14427-14150806749855_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisZ

Is the writing silver, or white? When you touch the choke label, does it appear to be a laminate overlayed on top of the console, or is it actually part of the console. I have three of these parts. The original one from a 73, one from a 72, and one from a 71. The 71 and 72 look like yours. The 73 looks a bit different, and when you press on the label, it appears to be delaminating from the console. It appears to be silver, whereas the others are white letters, too.

P.S., I like your AC controls. They are different than mine. Mine are up under the dash, to the right of steering wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

For any who was curious about what's under the silver/black CHOKE decal.

No doubt Datsun heard that Americans couldn't figure out what that little symbol was, even though it's on the Choke Knob too!

There are a number of hobbyist decal making kits that use an ink-jet printer which might be able to replicate the original design on silver mylar film. Otherwise someone might be able to PhotoShop the decal and have a professional printer make them. I'm sort of leaning toward filling in the lines with white paint, like it was intended to be.

post-19963-14150810929205_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to restore the lid to the fuse box. It seems that in 1973 they changed how the word "choke" was applied below the yellow choke light. In 73, it seems to be printed on some sort of silver plastic that is glued on top of the black plastic panel. I have no idea what it originally looked like, as ever single picture of a 73 console shows this choke label to be worn off.

Does anyone have any idea what it should look like, and how to restore it? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Thanks,

Matt

OK I can answer your questions.

If you peel off that decal, there is engraved "choke picture" under that.

What it is that, this choke picture was not clear enough to driver what it was, so Nissan decided to put that decal. So if you peel it off, and put whit crayon into the engraved picture, it will look good!