IGNORED

Koni Red Rear Shocks

What can anyone tell me about the 82R 1812 Koni Red rears?

I've got a brand new pair that my dad originally had back in the 70's for his 240Z. After an accident the car was never the same and it was sold. He kept the brand new Konis in the garage ever since and i've decided to put them in my early 74 260Z.

He seems to remember being told they are adjustable for stiffness. What can you guys tell me about them?

Thanks.

I also had Koni's in my early 260Z in the late 70's/early80's. They were wonderful shocks, that transformed the handling. In case of wear, they are adjustable. For street use, they are fine just as set from the factory.

I have a used front set to go along with your new rear set. They are in good condition and can be adjusted for any wear. Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Fixitman

IIRC the Koni reds must be removed from the car for adjustment, or at least the springs compressed and pulled from the struts. The adjustment mechanism is to collapse the rod completely and then twist the rod to adjust.

Unlike the Tokico Illuminas, the Koni red adjustment is not designed to allow adjustment for different road or driving conditions, but instead to compensate for wear. So they don't need to be super easy to adjust, you are only supposed to need to do it after many 10's of thousands of miles.

Ok so i've got them currently brand new and out of the car ready to install. Sorry for all the questions i'm just wanting to make sure they're on the right "setting" before installing them. Is there any sequence of turns to ensure they're equal or anything I should be noting? I see an arrow on the body of it and it's marked HEAVY. Which I would assume if the rod is compressed and it's turned in the direction indicated would firm up the ride?

If your using the car for street use, setting 1 will be fine for stock springs. You should never try to use a shock to stiffen your suspension. If you want stiffer suspension get stiffer springs. The shock is there to control the spring not make it stiffer. I have Koni Reds and Koni springs on my 73. Go to Koni.com and check out the instructions.

If your using the car for street use, setting 1 will be fine for stock springs. You should never try to use a shock to stiffen your suspension. If you want stiffer suspension get stiffer springs. The shock is there to control the spring not make it stiffer. I have Koni Reds and Koni springs on my 73. Go to Koni.com and check out the instructions.

Based on his description, I think he has a different shock than you and no numbered knob for adjustment, but the suggestion to go to Koni is a good one. I just did that myself and found the directions that appears to be for LowCarbZ's version under the FAQs. Seems simple enough to do as long as the shocks are off the car. The trouble is knowing what to start with and having to make adjustments later. :)

Yes I know the siffer ride is from the springs. I have a full suspension setup with lowering springs and strut braces in place as well.

I'll have a look on Koni's site. I was hunting around online and hadn't found anything on these old shocks, although I didn't expect to. They aren't like the new ones with a dial or number indicator at all.

Thanks for the info so far. I'll take any other knowledgeable information or suggestions etc. also.

Sometimes the answers are in the most obvious place you didn't think to look. I didn't think Koni would have any tech info on 35+ year old shocks.

So the adjustment procedure is similar to what i'd had in mind.

Fixitman, PM me what you'd want for your set of fronts. It'd be nice to match them up to the rears.

Thanks everyone for the info so far.

• 2 weeks later...