IGNORED

My L28 it Dead as in wiped out

carguyinok

So, as I posted yeaterday I thought I had a bad headgasket in my good L28 that I just installed. :angry:

Well today I started pulling it apart and must say I am FAR from a happy camper with what I found... :cry:

Please keep in mind this was a very very strong motor that was put togather in about 01. I bought the car soon after the motor was installed. The PO of it only drove the car about 100 miles before parking it.

I ran the car for about 2-3 hours worth in my driveway before pulling it an setting it on a motor stand in mid 02 untill last week. Yes it was drained 100% and had all open holes plugged with oil soaked rags.

Yesterday was the 1st run since that point. All new fluids and checked over real good. She fired off after turning over about 4 times and ran real strong. It's had alot of white smoke but no odd noise what so ever. So I pulled it out and did a few laps in the parking lot. It was pulling hard and sounding good. Never broke 200 for the temp. Then from nowhere it acted like it ran outa fuel. So after a good hour plus of fighting I gave up for awhile. All this time checking the oil here and there with it being fine.

Later that night a few of us where hanging out at the shop and got her to take off with the help of some starting fluid. Only this time it was really smoking good. We pulled the dipstick and found milk for oil.

So knowing it must be a headgasket I placed the order for a new one. Then today started pulling the top end apart for the head job. I pulled the valvecover and have found not only alot of milk but that the first lobe of the cam has been eaten :cry::tapemouth:cry:

Sorry for the fuzzy photos but my cam is a real POS and needless to say I was alittle shaky at this point :sick:

240Z095.jpg

240Z100.jpg

240Z101.jpg

So, now this is how I left the car sitting tonight.

240Z110.jpg

It happens. I had a hydraulic lifter drop on my P90a head and it ate a cam lobe similar to this. The picture quality is not the greatest so it is hard to tell the extent of the damage. I was able to get my cam reground.

Thank you all, I wish I knew why it went. I just dont understand how a headgasket or head can crap out sitting dry. I got the motor running and let her idle for about 10-15 minn. Then because I had a bad slave on the clutch I shut down the motor and restarted it in 1st gear. That let me get about 5 minn worth of laps in our empty parking lot. I must say it was a very strong motor. I would hit the gas good and the back tires would just light-up and the car woud kick out in a slide. No it never even broke 200 for temp.

Anyway, I dont think the cam can be saved. You can set a dime in the damage and still have a lip. My feelings on this is that the coolant washed the oil off the front lobe and that caused the damage. I could be very wrong about that. But it's the only thing I can come up with. As far as why it got coolant in the oil I have not a clue. I will post the findings once I pull apart the motor.

The real bitch for me here is it was a fresh motor built for the 73 I picked up back around 01-02. The guy didnt even want too part with the motor because of the money and time he had in it. I should have wrote down what was done when he told me. But I didnt do that and know better next time. I do know that he had alittle over $2800 just in the motor build. I can say from the 1 gear pulls I was getting it's was money well spent. Oh yah and that was on stock SU's for me. He had it on trip. webbers that I didnt get with the car. But, its dead now.........