IGNORED

Variations on radiator caps

EVILC

That's a correct cap, but it looks like it has been painted. The correct finish is zink plate silver.

Thanks! It is silver, it is just the color of the drop light you see against the cap. Learned something new today, very nice.

That's a correct cap, but it looks like it has been painted. The correct finish is zink plate silver.

Chris,

I bought a radiator cap for my car which is supposed to be for the series 1 cars. Practicng my picture attachment upload skills, (real novice here). It is gold cad and all early caps I have seen were the same gold finish.

Do you think these were available in both silver or gold finishes from difference suppliers? Let me know what you think as there seem to be some subtle differences in the scripts engraved in these caps. Kats 432z also has the gold cap.

Dan

post-2148-1415080576914_thumb.jpg

Hmmm...This is interesting. I responded after looking at a couple of pictures from the 1970 low milage car at Syracuse. Do you remember that car? 18,000 original miles or something. That was one of the first "low milage" unrestored cars I had seen. The radiator cap appears silver, but it could be that the cad finish is light.

post-4148-14150805775575_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150805776012_thumb.jpg

Then I looked up Kats' photos and pulled out the parts books.

21430-10600 is the part number in the North America parts book. It is also listed as such in the Fairlady parts book for the L20 and L24 application. However, 21430-E4200 and 21430-E4201 are listed for the S20 application. I also have this picture of the decals and it shows both a silver and cad finished cap.

Now here is what I just noticed. The cap Clive shows has Japanese writing on it. The embossed emblems on the cap wings appear the same as all the pictures I have, but the Japanese writing is distinctive !?!! I have seen the Jap caps and the decals before. Never took notice of the differences.

I can zoom in on the pictures from the car in Syracuse. It seems the embossed writing is the same as your cap, Dan.

post-4148-14150805776453_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150805776654_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150805776852_thumb.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

Hi Chris and Dan,

I did not know that, various kinds of script.I thought Z432's non-push cap is same like all the others.But script is different.By the way,push cap is for the Z432 reservoir bottle.

NOS cap for Z432 says

"REMOVE SLOWLY/ TIGHTEN"

As you can see,there is no Japanese.

And I looked up and found my Z432 old cap says

"DO NOT OPEN WHEN HOT/ アツイトキ アケルトキケン"

Japanese words say exactly Do not open when hot.

And the cap on ELVIC's car says

"REMOVE SLOWLY/ユックリマワセ"

Also Japanese words say exactly Remove slowly.

What is saying on other car's cap?

kats

post-3193-14150806340884_thumb.jpg

Chris,

I just got confirmation from the source of my radiator cap purchase that it is the North American part: 21430-10600. It has since been removed from his web site as it is NLA. I have always been very happy with this person, and his ability to come up with hard to find NOS parts. His web site is www.New-Datsun-Parts.com

I have no interest in, or association with this site other than as a resource for my parts.

Dan

Then I looked up Kats' photos and pulled out the parts books.

21430-10600 is the part number in the North America parts book. It is also listed as such in the Fairlady parts book for the L20 and L24 application. However, 21430-E4200 and 21430-E4201 are listed for the S20 application. I also have this picture of the decals and it shows both a silver and cad finished cap.

I can zoom in on the pictures from the car in Syracuse. It seems the embossed writing is the same as your cap, Dan.

Chris, yours are same as EVILC's cap.

I would like to amend interpret, to be more specific Japanese,

"DO NOT OPEN WHEN HOT/ アツイトキ アケルトキケン"

Japanese words say "When hot, dangerous to open"

"REMOVE SLOWLY/ユックリマワセ"

Also Japanese words say "Turn slowly.

kats

Edited by kats
spelling

Both of Chris caps appear to be yellow zinc with different degrees of fading. It appears there is more than one supplier of these stock caps for early cars, one JDM and another possibly North American, or at least that is a reasonable assumption.

I am satisfied that my cap matches up with the original part number, though, and I have a high degree of confidence in my source from past purchases.

Dan