IGNORED

HLS30-00032 back from paint

Mike B

i also have a blue 903 z that i will be painting the second coat of blue and 3 coats of clear. i like what i see with your z and iam looking forward this spring in completing my job which started the end of 2007. if anyone can help explain how to put pictures on this site i have plenty to show. thank for any info carl h

i also have a blue 903 z that i will be painting the second coat of blue and 3 coats of clear. i like what i see with your z and iam looking forward this spring in completing my job which started the end of 2007. if anyone can help explain how to put pictures on this site i have plenty to show. thank for any info carl h

The best way for you to add images to the site is to upload them to your personal gallery. The following link should take you straight to the upload page:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/uploadphoto.php?cat=500

I circled the area in red Carl. I'm not sure why it is offset like this either, but every 240Z I have seen is this way.

-Mike

If you look at the rear cross-member in the sub-frame - you will see that area is thicker/wider ie it sticks down toward the ground about 1/8 to 1/4 inch - it spans the area cut out of the deck floor for the spare tire well. Adding strength to that cross-member there may have been done to strengthen the rear deck floor, or to add strength for the additional weight of the gas tank strap..... but it becomes a logical place to tack weld the rear panel down.

They also reinforced the other side to hold the gas tank strap on that rear cross-member.

I would guess...

Carl B.

I finished restoring my taillights and put them back in today. I'm very happy with how the rechromed trim strips came out after I painted the black center sections. They retained all of the detail, and the heavy duty chrome on these should last my lifetime.

-Mike

tailights look great,was the chrome in good shape alreadyi have to do my back lights also ,i feel like i am looking at my car on your site its kind of neat. does anyone have or know of anyone selling series one blue seats or any color series one seats,i can always order blue covers.

tailights look great,was the chrome in good shape alreadyi have to do my back lights also ,i feel like i am looking at my car on your site its kind of neat. does anyone have or know of anyone selling series one blue seats or any color series one seats,i can always order blue covers.

No, the chrome was in pretty bad shape. I striped it off and then had them rechromed. See this thread http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30823&highlight=taillight+chrome&page=2. I had two sets done and was hoping to do some more, but the guy that chromed them is getting out of the chrome business and has been difficult to deal with.

I believe Les at classicdatsun.com sells good reproductions of the seat covers, including the blue ones. My interior is black. I take it yours is blue then?

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Very nice paint job and restored tail lights,I agree not buying todays ones but refresh original 1969 lights, keep them forever!

I envy your blue 903.I wish I had same blue on my 240Z some day.

About a punched area of the rear panel, I have just come across the answer last week when I met a special person .

That area is for the solution of avoiding bad shrink when the metal is pressed on the machine.

I met Mr.Tamura , he was a finalist of the S30 styling (I should start a new thread of him) in 1967 to 1969.He told me many many things about finishing touch of the S30, his boss was Mr.Matsuo of course, once you hear his story,you will realize he did really hard work and his hands created beautiful body panel shape/lines/edges/fins/curves e.t.c. , and you will find you can not have this beautiful S30 without his hands.

kats

That area is for the solution of avoiding bad shrink when the metal is pressed on the machine.

Hi Kats:

Glad to hear that you have found, and/or met another person directly involved during the 67 to 69 period.

Can you ask Mr.Tamura if he is talking about the shape and total size {ie. area} of "that area" being what it is on the rear panel, or if he is talking about the specific off-set location of that area being where it is?

Understandable that the area pressed was limited in size/shape to reduce excessive shrinkage in a large curved panel. The original question was related to why it is offset from the center of the panel.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carl,

Yes that is the matter, and

I asked that Mr.Tamura, he did not know why the stamping area is off set to the left.

But he remember the area was much much bigger when it was under progress.

And the area was seen overshoot from the rear bumper.

He did final finishing touch of the panel, but a panel press team was responsible to solve the shrinkage problem.

Mr.Tamura said the reason of off set must be the result of many tests made by the team.They tried so many times, he said.

Alan,I want you to see this thread, I would like to introduce you to Mr.Tamura, you must see him. Many many things will be unvailed to the world , not from my english skill but you can do that Alan.

kats

• 1 month later...

Finally got HLS30-00032 finished and took her for a drive and a photo shoot today. I used a mix of NOS parts I have collected over the years and every other part I restored or cleaned up as best I could. Now I just need to detail the engine bay and the undercarriage.

-Mike