IGNORED

240z Seat Strapping

lm71z

Is the seat strapping(straps that support the bottom cushion) on 240z seats supposed to be really tight? or is it supposed to have some play in it? I just had the driver's seat in my 240z reupholstered and the original strapping was completely intact, so I just added the strap that goes horizontally beneath the diagonal strapping. The original black strapping is a little bit loose and I'm wondering if I should have tightened it.

The original black strapping is a little bit loose and I'm wondering if I should have tightened it.

I don't think the original strapping under the seats was black. I think the early straps (before they went to springs) were all a beige rubber material with some green material on some of the ends. The rubber material is usually melted for some reason. Someone told me it was a chemical reaction, not sure if that is true of not. I think the straps were fairly tight initially, but loosened up over time (if not completely seperated) due to the melting issue and streching from being used.

-Mike

Edited by Mike B
typos

The rubber material is usually melted for some reason. Someone told me it was a chemical reaction, not sure if that is true of not. I think the straps were fairly tight initially, but loosened up over time (if not completely seperated) due to the melting issue and streching from being used.

-Mike

It looks melted but it's actually Volcanization or Devolcanization, I can't remember which. I bought the identical rubber strapping from a local Upholstry shop and the guy explained what the melting look was. ANyways, the strapping was about $2.00 a foot but worked beautifully.

You'll be able to manage the black material better but the white stuff, you have to drill first, in order to get the rivots thru. It won't seperate like the black stuff.

The results were awesome though

Dave.

Hi all , it's funny how we are all doing the same things, or so it seems .I pulled both my seats last nite as today they both go in for re-re at the upholster .

As you can see the volcano completely melted my strapping , so I will be installing the new improved strapping which will be slightly elastic and will have a bit of give . I'm staying with the cloth inserts and will be having new vinyl installed on both the seats .My upholster will also be fitting additional foam and padding to greatly improve the comfort of these seats .

I will post pic's in a few more weeks of the completed seats .

till then , back out to the shop .

Bonzi , I love your blue , it is the color I will be painting as well !

Chris

post-15588-14150805926133_thumb.jpg

I bought my webbing on line from Albany Foam and Supply. They were a quick ship and you can purchase by the foot. 2" Elastibelt 650 It is black with a red stripe. Worked very well with the pop-rivet gun after I figured out you need to punch a starter hole. Looks just like what Arne's photo shows, my photo is not as nice as my seat was already installed when i took it.

Here is the link to Albany Foam: http://www.ausinc.net/ausinc/17.pdf

The webbing is listed 3/4 the way down the left side of page.

Rubber, Elastic

0701006 2" ElasBelt 650 Webbing cut $.39 ft.

164 ft. roll price 41.00 roll

For a picture of what you are getting go here, but the price is better at Albany:

http://upholsterysuppliesandfoam.com/xcart/home.php?cat=263&js=n

I don't remember how much I used/ordered, however I believe there are some previous posts in the archives that addressed this.

post-13359-14150805930242_thumb.jpg

There is a fabric "loop/hem" sewn to the bottom side of the seat upholstery that goes through a slit in the foam and a wire runs through the hem and then connects to this wire you describe with the hooks on each end. There are 2 small o-rings of turned wire to hold the 2 wires together (shows well in Arne's picture). The one wire is on the bottom side of the webbing, the other can't be seen in photo as it is tucked in the slit of the foam. It's purpose I believe is to help pull the center of the upholstery down to contour it and keep it from puckering up when no one is sitting on it. I personally found it very hard to re-install the 2 o-rings to connect wire to wire with new non-compressed seat cushion. I ended up using 2 heavy zip ties to connect the 2 wires and tossed the o-rings. Allowed me to pull them tight and give the seats a nice professional looking contour.