IGNORED

Compatible shifter for Jatco trans

TomoHawk

• 2 weeks later...

What do you want to do with one of those shifters anyway?

The factory linkage setup is very simple and I've only ever experienced a failure once when a plastic bush gave out that made the t bar a little loose and rattley. Took about 10 minutes to get under the car and fix and cost so little that I can't even remember how much it cost. :stupid:

The shifters you are talking about...you'll remember how much they'll cost you!

If you want to do it properly, put a shift kit through the trans, put a high stall converter in it and go beat the troops!

Cheers.

I might do that. First I would change to the 4N71B trans. I have some documents from a trans builder for improvements. I also have some "NEW" aftermarket auto shifters for some 1970s cars, so what could be more period correct?

Jatco made transmissions for Ford, so maybe the Ford shifters might work, but which trans is like the Jatco, shifter-wise?

thxZ

That L4n71B is a great box. I know. You'll be glad you got one with that tall overdrive ratio on board. The first two gears are lower in ratio but you can still chuck in some 4.11's for example and still have a good top end!

Here in Oz, I was able to get one from an L Series 2.4 litre R30 Skyline. Bolted right up with the R30 flexplate (4 speed one, not the 3 speeder as it's different) and some mods to the tailshaft as the shaft and splines are bigger from the 4n71B. A newly fabricated crossmember was needed for it to fit my chassis, maybe yours too dunno you'd have to check that one out for yourself. Shifter issue as well. Just needed to drill a new hole in the linkage so I could manually shift into 1st....easy mod though.

Yes, put the 4n71B box in....for sure. How many have done it????? :devious:

....and with a shift kit and high stall...... yeah baby!

Edited by ozconnection

Hey mate,

The HybridZ guys supplied the information about the 4EN71B (electric O/D) except you should get it from an 83-84 Maxima (trans, flexplate, shaft, crossmember, wires) I know where to get the trans from, but it probably doesn't have the wires or crossmember, can you at least bodge the wiring?

I kinda figure you could get almost any shifter to work if you just drill a hole or something to get the throw correct.

FYI, you might be interested in this aussie website for information about 3N71B or 4N71B: http://www.keas.com.au/

thxZ

Edited by TomoHawk

The luxury of my 4 speeder is that its a hydraulic box.....it doesn't need or use a computer to drive it! Its just like the 3 speeder in it operation except for the O/D which can be cut out via a toggle or rocker switch.

Thanks for the website...only problem is its under construction!!

Have a look around for the hydraulic version....personally I hate having to fiddle with wires and stuff if the trans. can be made to work just as well with a vacuum signal from the intake manifold!!

Your call and good luck.

Cheers.

My current car probably has hydraulic lockup, so every time I touch the gas pedal when the TC is locked, it shifts down and drives you nuts, plus uses up more gas probably. Electric lockup would avoid that; you just need to remember to unlock the TC when you leave the highway.

I think if there was a friendly shop nearby that could do the job for me, I would probably do it, even for a few extra $$.

I'd still have the same old, worn-out shifter! :disappoin

I'll try to contact Hurst first. I bet I know the response: "We only make shifters for popular domestec US made transmissions. Even if we had one that would fit the Jatco (Ford) transmission, we wouldn't tell you" :mad::angry:

thxZ

Edited  by TomoHawk

Don't expect dudes behind the counter to be able to imagine what could be done. If it's not written there in front of them, they have NFI.

Speed shops may have what you want sitting on the shelf for you to look at and sus out. That way you're not relying on someone else to decide if it will fit or not.

"Your current car"...is that the one with the 3n71b in it?? They don't have lock up TC's.

My 4 speeder shifts beautifully, so throttle responsive. I played around with an adjustable vacuum modulator valve until I had it just the way I liked it. There is a short rod behind this valve, failing buying an adjustable valve, you could try different length rods (by a few mm's each way) yourself. I used nails cut down to the right length and thickness. Cheap mate....and easy either way you go! :)