IGNORED

Repro headlight covers

240ZGL

If anyone is interested, I can get the chromed Trimmed REPRO Covers from japan. Roughly $375 with shipping and dollar conversion. If anyone is intersted, I'd have to contact my source and find out if he has any.

You can PM me if interested.

post-7073-14150805342163_thumb.jpg

Edited by azcarbum

• 2 months later...

I am still working on it, and thanks to MikeW have a new approach to the problem-Thanks MikeW!

I have not made it up to Ohio yet to get the lenses underway, because of my committment to getting Larys car on the right track, but as soon as that is sewn up, I will get up there and progress will be post haste!

Will

I'

ve always like the covers, but don't they affect the light from the beams? The lamp manufacturers make a good effort to design the lamp lens to focus the beam, but the covers (especially the ones with the hard line) look like they would spread the beam some.

thx

In my experience, unless you have invested in a pair of true high-end H4 lamps (such as Cibié, Hella, Bosch, or IPF), you probably won't notice the difference. Certainly not on any sealed beam, and not on most H4s, especially the MSR variety. Other than the top brands, none of the rest direct the light output accurately enough that the headlight covers will have any noticeable affect. And even on the top brands, the effects would likely be fairly mild.

• 2 weeks later...
I am still working on it, and thanks to MikeW have a new approach to the problem-Thanks MikeW!

I have not made it up to Ohio yet to get the lenses underway, because of my committment to getting Larys car on the right track, but as soon as that is sewn up, I will get up there and progress will be post haste!

Will

I have a new old stock JDM headlight cover that were sitting in Japan for a long time in the original box. It came with "instruction paper" so I would like to share info about how to recreate brackets as close to original ones.

As you can see, you buy a little bracket with 2 mm thickness and 1.9CM with. It is very cheap and zink plated one.

You drill out 3 holes and tap the center one. Other outer ones, you enlarge (a bit) at the enterance. Screw are regular cad. plated wood screws. (I recomend you have 73 and up metal headlight bucket!) And use round head bolts to hold the covers in place. The bolts were zink plated(not chrome) .

I just wanted to see if it was possible and easy enough for anyone.

I am interested in your repro ones so I do not have to worry about replacement after all. Since aftermarket one retails for 22000Yen(about $230) is very poorly made, and never come with hardware nor intruction paper. I hope this info could help you all.

Esprist

post-16910-14150806274536_thumb.jpg

post-16910-14150806274841_thumb.jpg

post-16910-1415080627526_thumb.jpg

... I would like to share info about how to recreate brackets as close to original ones.

Esprist

Esprist,

I have a New Old Stock set sitting in the original boxes with the original paperwork to work from-all of the components are pictured in my gallery

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12162&ppuser=4106

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12159&ppuser=4106

and in another thread I will locate later.

I am not certain what we-this will be a team effort- will do about hardware as the original is not built to last, and is dificult to install. Using Threaded rivits would be far easier to fit, and longer lasting. I am aslo going to develop a seal kit to keep moisture and road debris out of the covered nacelle.

Will

Esprist,

I have a New Old Stock set sitting in the original boxes with the original paperwork to work from-all of the components are pictured in my gallery

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12162&ppuser=4106

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=12159&ppuser=4106

and in another thread I will locate later.

I am not certain what we-this will be a team effort- will do about hardware as the original is not built to last, and is dificult to install. Using Threaded rivits would be far easier to fit, and longer lasting. I am aslo going to develop a seal kit to keep moisture and road debris out of the covered nacelle.

Will

Totally agree with you. As far as the seal part, I found that they have little open area at front bottom part of the lense. Is it water escape area? I have total of 2 new sets and 1 used one, and they all have this 1/2 inch opening on the seal.

Esprist

• Like 1