IGNORED

Dashboard Removal (Help!)

mikewags

Update: I've removed the dash yesterday...it was a REAL mission.

Let me just say, that if u have a few minor cracks in the dash; and everything is in place---it probably isnt worth removing considering the amount of work that needs to be done to get it out.

I have already gone ahead and filled the cracks with glue/foam - Will be patching the surface with bumper repair, then covering with texture coating/trim paint.

Will update later with photos.

If you know exactly what to take apart, you can probably knock it out in an hour or two (removing bolts/screws) - If you run into the issues I had, such as removing the exterior panelling; then it will take you longer.

Once you get all the screws/bolts off you have to remove the electrical from the passenger (junction block) then a bunch under the steering wheel; along with dropping the steering wheel via removing the bolts...its quite a mission.

Then putting screws/bolts back and rehooking up the wires will be a pain. I haven't gotten to that part yet, and am not exactly looking forward to it.

I would just LOVE to remove my dash.

I'm installing all new sound, heat and vibration matting from the firewall to the tail lights (including removal of all the old horsehair padding) and replacement of all of the stock vinyl trim, and I know it would be an infinitely cleaner install, and much easier with a clear field. Plus I'd love to clean up the rat's nest from the old A/C. But since it's essentially my DD now I couldn't have it out of commission for more than a weekend. A nice long rainy weekend seems like it would be perfect then. And a box of band-aids too. :D Unless you make a pre-emptive strike and coat your knuckles with NuSkin first.

But then WIAI would probably strike. With the dash off, the wiper motor and heater fan should also be looked into. It never ends.

Good luck. I'll be following along, and getting my courage up.

Keep in mind, the dash comes out with everything still in it (speedometers/glovebox/etc) --- Removing all that from the dash cover (plastic top) is a mission in and of itself. Once the dash is gone, there is still quite a bit attached to the firewall (AC unit, wiring, etc) - If you are looking to have the firewall totally empty, thats a LOT more work.

When I get home ill post up some snapshots of the inside of the car with it all removed...it ain't pretty :nervous:

Please mikewags- a couple of pix with your dash off would be most welcome. I'd love to know what I'm getting myself in for, as well as seeing just how much "stuff" is still there attached to the firewall.

Here are some pictures of #32 with the dash out. I decided to swap it out about 8pm the night before leaving for the Canby show. It took me about 8 hours to take the old one out, clean up and swap the guages and harnesses, and reinstall everything. I used blue painters masking tape to label the wires that weren't obvious to me. I wish I would have taken another picture after I wiped off all the dust.

-Mike

post-9102-1415080380915_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803809644_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803810064_thumb.jpg

post-9102-1415080381049_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803810915_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803811342_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks Mike. You certainly have a lot of juevos starting that kind of job just before a major road trip. I'm jealous of your hand throttle, and where did you get that carpet from? Fits great.

It looks pretty daunting, although I do have pretty good touch with tools so the work itself doesn't scare me. I'll just have to wait for a cool, rainy weekend to do this job. I love working in the garage when it's raining outside, and cool, like from a cold front moving through. I crank the tunes too and get lost in the work. It looks like really a 2-day job, comfortably. I'd be doing almost the exact same scope of work, adding in the gauge light swap, new hoses, and the noise/heat batting work on the firewall and floor, etc.

You certainly have a lot of juevos starting that kind of job just before a major road trip.

I had removed a couple of dashes from parts cars before, and that went pretty quickly so I thought putting it back in wouldn't be much more difficult, and its not. The most time consuming part for me was cleaning and swapping out the guages and harnesses.

where did you get that carpet from?

From Chester and Herod. See this thread for more info. http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29317&highlight=carpet

It looks pretty daunting, although I do have pretty good touch with tools so the work itself doesn't scare me.

Its actually pretty easy once you know what to do and only basic tools are needed. There is a good thread you can search for on this site with instructions and tips that are a good supplement to the FSM.

I love working in the garage when it's raining outside, and cool, like from a cold front moving through.

You should move to Seattle then. Lots of opportunities to work in the garage when its raining outside and cool. LOL