IGNORED

Dashboard Removal (Help!)

mikewags

The following Word file will probably help you out quite a bit. I believe this was made for an early 240Z or 260Z, but it should be almost exactly the same for a later model...(I.E. - 75 280Z) Just make sure you mark each and every electrical connection somehow so you'll know EXACTLY where everything hooks back up...take notes...pictures...what-ever it takes to jog your memory when it comes time to put it back together...

webdawg1

Removing Dash and Interior for Paint.doc

From memory but this should get you there . First I usually take off the steering wheel and drop the steering colum down . Disconnect the speedo cable then clean wounds and apply bandaids .The console is next thing to go Then disconnect the harness under the glove box . (mark any connection and screws you take out). There is the panel against the windshield with about 4 screws. Take those out and you will see about 6~8 bolts holding it to the firewall. On each side in the lower corners towards the face of the dash is another bolt . Remove the vent panel in the center also so you can get to the ducts . While you are at it check the mode door and linkage for the heater/ac .. vacuum lines....light bulbs..... Jim

So, today I found myself under the dash on my back, sweating profusely and getting nowhere fast. I'm going to search through the FSM and any other stuff out there for a decent schematic of where all the connections/screws are...it would just make life easier, especially for putting it all back together.

Do you guys think attempting to repair a few cracks in the dash (while still in the car) would even be possible? I really think its futile, I'd like to get the dash out for dynomatting the firewall and being able to fix it correctly.

http://carfiche.com/manuals023/cars/

Carfiche doesn't have a 75 listed, but does have a 76. It would be worth your while to download it (or get a Factory Service Manual elsewhere), as well as utilizing the search feature on this site.

I'd forget about carfiiche and use these two links:

For the S30- http://www.xenons30.com/reference.html

For the S130- http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html

Some of his manuals aren't scanned very well but they're readible. Looks like he used greyscale on some of them instead of 1 bit black and white which would have been clearer. He even has Z31, Z32, and Z33 (w/some G35) stuff.

Status Update:

I removed most of the bolts. Two of the bolts under the garnish plate had nuts securing them to the firewall (thankfully they were loose) but I had to remove the exterior panel under the wipers to get to the nuts for bolt removal...What a pain!

Upon removing that panel I found the largest portion of surface rust yet on the car. Probably due to the rain water that flows into those vents. I applied large amounts of NAVAL JELLY to the rusted areas and covered it all up. Today the rust should be gone and I will cover these areas with paint (#305 - able to buy at Sherwin Williams Automotive) ---

The dashboard isnt fully removable yet, but much looser. I still need to disconnect some wiring under the passenger side I suppose.

Question: What is that black bag that is located between the wipers, under that exterior shell piece?

and

Will the dashboard come out with all of the vents/gauges? (speedometer/etc)

Thanks!