IGNORED

Shelby Wheel & Accessories Catalogs

Mike B

Did Massey have the proper four ear center caps?
Yes Arne. The 4-ear caps are getting *very* rare according to the proprietor, so I'm buying a few sets to be safe, in case I scrape a curb or something. Not only that but they had some gorgeous acorn-style chromed lug nuts with the essential 1-inch shanks for the Cal 500's, some original stock to 1970's McGard lockers, and believe it or not, 2 ear spinner/knock-off hubs in metal!!!

I'm gonna try them out to see if they'll make the car look stupid or not. I enlarged a photo of them and taped it on the wheel, and they looked great-to my eye at least. I hope my Z doesn't look like an orange (OK, Safari Gold) chariot. :D

BTW, I'm not connected to them in any way, but they were absolutely among the most knowledgeable, delightful and accommodating people I've ever dealt with, even with my relatively small order. Been in business for around 50 years I believe.

post-16786-14150803561995_thumb.jpg

post-16786-1415080356209_thumb.jpg

Here are a couple more from Shelby to round out their vintage lineup, although I'm guessing these two came a few years later. The first scan is the Shelby Serpent (sorry, no specs). In the second scan, on the right, the Shelby Diamondback was designed with offset for maximum fenderwell clearance. This wheel was available as 13x5, 14x6 and 14x7. The Viper & Diamondback wheels are shown mounted with Shelby tires.

Here is a page about the Shelby Sixty tires you mentioned Ron, and one of the Supersnake wheels also from the 72 catalog.

-Mike

I find it astounding how many wheel options were available for Z's early on. I know Appliance had at least a half dozen designs to choose from also. It would be interesting to list all the manufacturers and their vintage offerings, if it hasn't been done. Worldwide, there were probably quite a few I've never seen. Great thread Mike!

• 6 months later...

Cool! Looks like the Shelby wheels that came with my car are Call 500's. The catalog will let me ID the exact model and determine if the caps are original.

I'll be cleaning them up and placing them in the classifids in the Spring.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Darn it, I was really hoping to see my wheels in one of these PDFs. I know they're Shelby Cobra's, but would also like to know more info - to have some documentation/sales literature would be terrific! Oh well. The only lead I have is that they were originally purchased in the late 70s or early 80s. They were never used by purchaser, never even had tires mounted on them until I bought them on E-bay just after getting my 240....

Edited by BadDog
typo

• 1 month later...