IGNORED

280z 5 speed and 280zx 5 speed differences

bbcountach

• 1 month later...

An exterior difference between the early Z and later ZX fives speed transmissions is the early box has no reverse lockout, which is that oval shaped plate on the side of the rear housing fastened with two 10mm bolts. All shifters should be interchangable 72 & up, except one type I think from later ZX's which has a straight rod and a different bushing design. There may be a thread on that shifter and converting one to the other or vice versa.

Basically, gear ratios.

2zf4g9t.jpg

Thank you for this info...I just pulled a tranny from my 1980 parts car and had done some recent reading to find a lack of info as to if I had the close or wide ratio tranny. For some reason all the info I found made NO mention of the 1980 model. If the only difference is in 5th then I'm in good shape and got what I wanted for my Z as I will be autocrossing.

• 1 month later...

Just to add another tranny option to the mix, the late maxima (1983-4) has the following ratios

1st 3.321

2nd 2.077

3rd 1.308

4th 1.000

5th 0.752

This would be my choice for a normally aspirated car. You get the great launch of the early tranny, with the great OD of the later. plus many Maximas weren't beaten on like Zs were. you can tell the Maxima tranny from others because the fill plug is on the driver's side. The early Z 5 speeds were also known to have the bolt holding 5th back off and cause failure. the later trannys got a reverse thread bolt that solved the problem.

Jim