IGNORED

L28T or L28 with added turbo

i have a stock L28, but i been loocking for L28T from a ZX for my 78 280z. i heard that it better to add a turbo to the stock L28 that swap it for the L28T

. if so can anyone give me any suggestions. for example, pricess of the two , power from the two. any help is great.

Hmm...no expert but from what I recall converting a stock L28 is an issue as stock has higher compression than a turbo and once you bolt on the turbo you get too much pressure.

If I were to do it, I'd go L28T with some mods to control boost levels etc.

Try hybridz. I'm sure this has been covered to death over there.

In the Zs case it's not so much the compression, it's that the turbo motor is built a little more stout. The pistons are designed to handle the extra heat from the boost. A stock motor on 7 or less psi will do fine. However, you will want more boost. Your best bet is to find the complete turbo motor, from air flow meter to the exhaust pipe from the downpipe to the cat. Pull your intake off, install the turbo injectors and put that on the turbo motor. Do a guts swap on the AFM, swap throttle bodies and drop it in using your factory EFI (not the turbo junk).

Jim

• 1 month later...

What is different about the afm and dizzy? I'm doing a supercharger add-on, already switched to the turbo injectors, when I got the injectors I got the turbo distributer and turbo afm, but wasn't sure if I needed either or should gut one or the other... Any ideas? (BTW, this is going onto a 78 280z, otherwise stock)

Phil

What is different about the afm and dizzy? I'm doing a supercharger add-on, already switched to the turbo injectors, when I got the injectors I got the turbo distributer and turbo afm, but wasn't sure if I needed either or should gut one or the other... Any ideas? (BTW, this is going onto a 78 280z, otherwise stock)

Phil

The turbo AFM is bigger but has a different pin configuration. You have to take the electronics out of your AFM and install them into the turbo AFM that way you can leave your stock ECU. I don't think there is a difference in the distributors.

The Dizzys are dramaticly different-the early 280ZXT used a true crank angle sensor, the later ZXTs use a dizzy that amounts to an optical crank angle sensor. a na ecm would not know how to handle the output from a turbo dizzy.

Will