IGNORED

Installing the GEN II Mini A/C into my 240

Derek

The hoses will have to do a sharp u-turn from behind the fan up to the connectors on the air box. I used bulkhead fitting for the heater hoses so it can be done.

VintageAir may have preformed u fittings that would make things easier.

Thanks DjWarner,

What about the under dash controls to opérate the vintage air gen ii mini kit? Do you recommend the indash control which will forcé me to open a hole in the existing heater control panel or should i just find a place under the dash to install the attached controls? I really do not want to alter or make any holes to the heater control panels preserving the car´s original look!

The hoses will have to do a sharp u-turn from behind the fan up to the connectors on the air box. I used bulkhead fitting for the heater hoses so it can be done.

VintageAir may have preformed u fittings that would make things easier.

Thanks DjWarner,

What about the under dash controls to opérate the vintage air gen ii mini kit? Do you recommend the indash control which will forcé me to open a hole in the existing heater control panel or should i just find a place under the dash to install the attached controls? I really do not want to alter or make any holes to the heater control panels preserving the car´s original look!

post-28721-0-05932300-1442942680_thumb.j

post-28721-0-74698000-1442942703.jpg

post-28721-0-65739200-1442942725_thumb.j

Aha! A victory of form over function. Your panel will look OEM but be utterly useless. That is your choice, so mount the control under the dash. Just check to make sure you have enough knee room.

I chose to enjoy my AC instead of wasting my time worrying about design purity. My design gives a neat installation while keeping the ability for a new owner to return to stock with minimum difficulty. The choice is yours, enjoy.

Aha! A victory of form over function. Your panel will look OEM but be utterly useless. That is your choice, so mount the control under the dash. Just check to make sure you have enough knee room.

I chose to enjoy my AC instead of wasting my time worrying about design purity. My design gives a neat installation while keeping the ability for a new owner to return to stock with minimum difficulty. The choice is yours, enjoy.

Can you post more pictures of your design? Any instructions i should follow on how to cut the heater control panel if i decide to go your way?

As you can see from the photos, I retained the fresh air vent control. If you chose to eliminate yours, you can simply block off the opening. If you do, I would get a sheet of black plastic from a hobby store to cover and clean up the center section of the heater control panel.

If I were to do this again, I would use this for a fresh air control:

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/149578/dust-collection-fitting-blast-gate-abs-4-od.aspx

I inverted the fan and used a spacer to locate the fan under the fresh air vent. Note, this probably voided the Vintage Air warranty.

post-26587-0-91346000-1443016753_thumb.j

post-26587-0-78092100-1443016779_thumb.j

post-26587-0-64358000-1443016803_thumb.j

post-26587-0-61398700-1443016827_thumb.j

post-26587-0-79939100-1443016859_thumb.j

post-26587-0-97500400-1443016882_thumb.j

• Like 1

djwarner, I like what you did to make use of the fresh air option.  The way you set it up, when you put it on recycled air, is the air flow blocked much?  I have the Hot Rod Air option, which is identical to Vintage Air, and am looking to reinstall and make use of the fresh air option.

djwarner, I like what you did to make use of the fresh air option.  The way you set it up, when you put it on recycled air, is the air flow blocked much?  I have the Hot Rod Air option, which is identical to Vintage Air, and am looking to reinstall and make use of the fresh air option.

The white plastic part is a PVC drain adapter for gutters I bought at Home Depot. I fabricated a flapper. The entire assembly moves up and down, riding on the two posts. When lowered over the fan, the flapper opens. When raised, the flapper closes.  

• Mike featured this topic
  • 4 months later...

Hello Derek I was kind a hoping that you might be able to copy brackets that you made for your AC unit under the dash and I could pay you for them because that is one of my biggest dilemmas right now? Please  let me know and if it’s not possible if you could tell me to dimensions of the brackets and what type of metal do used ? Thank you and advance