IGNORED

Looking for info on old Nissan comp springs

Derek

Ok Here's the story.

I purchased a set of front and rear coil springs out the Nissan competition catalog in probably 1990 or so. I put them on the car and drove it for a short amount of time then the car was parked since then. I just got the car back on the street and I'm not happy at all with the harshness of the ride. It handles like a dream but I'm making this my daily driver so I need something a little more forgiving. Does anyone have any direct experience with these springs and can maybe help me establish a benchmark as to how stiff they really are.

I want to buy a new set of springs but I don't want to end up with the same ride as I have now.

Thanks

Derek

Your too generous!

i would be glad to take them old, nasty comp springs off of your hands. heck, i'd throw in some "vintage" stock 240Z springs just for the heck of it ;)

I bought the springs when I was working in the parts department of a Datsun dealership. I seem to remember they listed 2 different rates for their springs.

I'm hoping someone has an old Nissan comp catalog and it may jog my memory.

I really wish the roads were smoother here. The car really handles well with the springs but it's going to kill me and the car at some point.

Derek

Your too generous!

I bought the springs when I was working in the parts department of a Datsun dealership. I seem to remember they listed 2 different rates for their springs.

I'm hoping someone has an old Nissan comp catalog and it may jog my memory.

I really wish the roads were smoother here. The car really handles well with the springs but it's going to kill me and the car at some point.

Derek

I think the information your looking for can be found at the link below.

http://www.v8-240z.com/Files/Datsun/Spring-Info/

Are you sure it is the springs and not the struts? I have the Euro stage 1 set also and it stiffened my ride just enough that with a set of G-2 struts it is fine for the street. Personally I would not want the ride any stiffer. I may still have the numbers of the spring rates if that would be of help. Carl Beck I am sure has the info. Gary

I vaguely remember the springs on my old BRE/Interpart suspension as being somewhere in the 210/220 range. I had them tested and they exactly matched those advertised within the early '70's catalog. Of course that's many years earlier than your springs, so no telling what changes in suppliers and specifications has taken place since. I'm sure someone like Carl or Ron Carter may be able to pipe in with the actual specs for springs purchased during that period. It's interesting that racers generally seem to be running much higher spring rates nowadays vs. what worked well for BRE back then.

Regardless, the best bet to determine their spring rates is to take them to a racing fab shop and have them measure them. Only takes about a minute for them to do it.

Mark

Well that's the problem. I can't remember for sure. I was going to go with KYB at the time but Frank from Zcar center in fort lauderdale ( I lived in Fort Lauderdale then) recommended a regular shock. I almost want to say they were Bosch?? Did Bosch even make shocks?

You know when you park a car under tarps for a number of years you can really

loose track of some of the details!

Derek

What Gary said is a good point. Mine were far too stiff with NOS Mulhollands, but fine with KYBs. What strut inserts do you have?

Regardless, the best bet to determine their spring rates is to take them to a racing fab shop and have them measure them. Only takes about a minute for them to do it.

That's good advice.

Beandip's advice about the struts is right on too. The struts have at least as much to do with the ride as the spring rate. I ran 200/250 springs on the street for 40K miles, but I did it with Illuminas on 1 or 2. Stiffer than that and they were too harsh for my personal taste.

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to pull it apart and see what I have. I've been without my Z for over 12 years and I hate to bring it off of the road so soon!

Derek

Mark