IGNORED

New 240Z Owner

westpak

One step closer, I worked on getting the insulation off.

The dry ice method is awesome, wouldn't do it any other way. I didn't have enough or the right technique at first so didn't get it all but enough to see that I had some surface rust under the insulation, so anyone that thinks they do not have rust guess again, at least it is just surface rust so far, anyone doing any kind of body work should really do this and not assume it is rust free.

240zdryice.jpg

Here is a spot by the spare tire I found under the insulation

240zrustback.jpg

And here is under the passenger seat area

240zrustseat.jpg

And the passenger side floorboard, still have some to do there and the driver side

240zrustfloor.jpg

And this is a piece that came off, definitely easier than trying to peel it off

240zpiece.jpg

Gus I have full faith in you in time you going to have one beautiful Z !!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted !!!! Try to see you at the next Sonic's meeting !!!!! Grandaughter keeps us busy baby sittting !!!!!

Edited by Alex 240Z

Gus I have full faith in you in time you going to have one beautiful Z !!! Keep up the good work and keep us posted !!!! Try to see you at the next Sonic's meeting !!!!! Grandaughter keeps us busy baby sittting !!!!!

Thanks John, I might be going a bit overboard but will get there some day LOL I need to be able to keep Ron and Kevin company with the S30's since you have been missing, hope to see you soon

• 2 weeks later...

well not too much done lately, got the interior vinyl off, wiring harnesses out, just have the roof interior and the rest of the insulation to come off and then to the body shop.

I did just spend bout 600 bucks on weatherstripping and miscellaneous rubber parts, amazing how much you can still get from the dealer, but the list is still long, I might be going a bit crazy but being that I will probably spend a small fortune before I am done I don't want to skimp on minor stuff, even got a tailgate glass weatherstrip

• 2 weeks later...

Well another productive weekend, got the tranny out, also got some more dry ice and got the rest of the insulation off. I wasn't sure I was going to be able to finish the insulation since there was more than I thought under the tranny tunnel trim and hard to put the ice on the sides of the tunnel but that was probably the easiest to get off. Found some more rust fortunately only surface rust so far.

Still happy with the amount of rust it is really not bad, I again recommend to anyone thinking about "refreshing" an older Z to go deep or this rust will surface eventually worse

Driver Side

driversidefloor.jpg

driversidefloorclose.jpg

driversidefloorclose2.jpg

driversidefloorclose3.jpg

Passenger Side

passengersidefloor.jpg

passengersidefloorclose.jpg

section of the tunnel had corrosion I didn't expect, I had to drill out the screws that held the center trim as they were rusted in, maybe the previous owner spilled something

tunnel.jpg

tunnelclose.jpg

trannyout.jpg

Hi Gus:

I just caught up with this thread... Glad to see that you started the restoration the first of the year.

That is "a rust free" 240Z ;-) Perhaps the cleanest 71 I've seen in years. Great to know you caught the surface rust before it did much damage.

Make sure you treat all the bare metal you have exposed with Ospho. You can whip the small amount of remaining tag down with some lacquer thinner - then go over everything with some Ospho. It will prevent flash rust until you get it to the body shop.

Surface rust - like in the doors should also be wire brushed and then soaked down with Ospho. You can simply use a spray bottle - and spray it in all the crack and nooks.

If you have any trouble locating any parts - just drop me an e-mail, or give me a call. Most importantly take your time and ENJOY the Process.

FWIW,

Carl B.

yes I agree it is a "rust free" 240Z, when I compare to others I have seen with major rust and holes, it makes this look like a cream puff LOL

I have been getting a bunch of stuff from the dealer, things I keep hearing people say the replicas are not great mainly the weatherstripping, not cheap, but with our shop discount it is easier to swallow, I may be going a bit over board but that is how I am, I just don't want to put all of this work into it and stop short for a few bucks, I see some many beautiful "restored/refreshed" Z's that look great at 10 feet but as you get close you see some of the things they cut corners on, and I know it will drive me crazy if I do it on mine.

Edited by westpak

• 11 months later...

This has provided me with inspiration to strip down my car to bare metal and see how mine is. Now to find the time and money to do it all (mostly time). Look forward to more updates.

• 2 weeks later...