IGNORED

2008 Int'l Convention Sep 28 - Oct 3

TomoHawk

I think you (and many others) are missing the point Will,

A convention is an event that you go to for the whole week. Just going for a day doesn't get you the whole experience. That's why the organizers plan stuff for every day for the whole week. It's not like the local show that happens on Friday nights so everybody can go, and if you can't, you just go next week to see the same cars.

First, not all conventions last a week, in fact I'd venture to say most are in the 4-5 day range.

Secondly, the main event for "most" attendees at a "car" convention is the car show itself. It only makes sense to hold that event at a time that has the promise of attracting the most participants and attendees/visitors as possible.

Anyone planning to attend and are coming from long distances know before hand that they will miss days off from work and have already accepted and planned for that.

Therefore, the next goal should be to attract the most "on the fence" Z lovers, your average car enthusiast and the general public. Logically, that would be to have the show on the weekend when more people may be free to attend.

I've been to a number of conventions; cars, cycling, aviation, camping/sports, electronics. They all started (officially) on a Monday and ended (officially) on Friday with the weekends to arrive & depart, parties, unofficial "flea markets," etc. Only the locals come for the day (or two or more...)

You're a TX guy, why don't you twist some arms in San Antonio? Good luck...

Having the "general public" at a Z car show is scary- I've seen too many paint jobs get ruined from the treatment by the "general public" because "Mr. car enthusiast" insists it wasn't his kid that did it :mad: (BTDT.)

Edited by TomoHawk

You're a Tx guy, why don't you twist some arms in San Antonio? Good luck...

HA! San Antonio........Hell, I couldn't even convince the the club here in Houston to hold a convention much less which days of the week to put it on! LOL

BTW, the "general public" presents a good opportunity to recruit new members to your club. Never discount that!

Edited by moonpup

well koz I don't need luck, my club is flourishing without any problems and keeping it only Z's, we started in 2002 when the 350Z came out and made a point of contacting a local Z club that had been dying and joined forces and have made it successful with just Z's, the subject has even come up about including G's and my members have loudly said NO

If the Windy Z club didn't have anyone to run a site or forum why didn't you guys appproach them to do it instead of starting a new one.

I AM SORRY A G is not a Z 2+2 if it was Nissan would have called it a Z 2+2, they don't have Infiniti in Japan and guess what it is called there a NISSAN SKYLINE!!!! so this argument is just an excuse for people like yourself to include the G's

As far as what Z is included we welcome any that has a chassis designated as a Z, whether they have done an engine swap or changed to non Nissan mirrors.

And I might add, Gus, the only ZCCA club in Florida. It is just a shame what happened to the Florida Z-Car community after Daytona. Keep the fun up! Very soon we'll all have the new 370Z to flog around! I saw a black one on the street yesterday. Looks good.

I think you (and many others) are missing the point Will,

A convention is an event that you go to for the whole week. Just going for a day doesn't get you the whole experience. That's why the organizers plan stuff for every day for the whole week. It's not like the local show that happens on Friday nights so everybody can go, and if you can't, you just go next week to see the same cars.

The problem with having the car show on the weekend is that people would have to take TWO work weeks off for the convention, which means probably nobody would go!

Tomohawk,

I didn't miss that, I only pointed out that no matter what the reason, more people don't attend because the car show is not on the most convenient day of the week for most people-true, you can't be everything to everyone, but the more convenient you are to most people, the more of them that will show up!

Next year, out oldest boy will be in school, around here that means there are only so many days he can miss-attending the entire convention would wipe out all of his days for the year-without being sick, playing hookey, or taking a Day off with Dad.

Will

And I might add, Gus, the only ZCCA club in Florida. It is just a shame what happened to the Florida Z-Car community after Daytona. Keep the fun up! Very soon we'll all have the new 370Z to flog around! I saw a black one on the street yesterday. Looks good.

Hey Chris, that is a shame what has happened since the convention. The ZCCA has really faltered in helping local clubs grow, they have the ear of Nissan but local clubs see no benefit from that. We have joined ZCCA to help support it plus the insurance coverage they provide, but if they resort to adding non Z's to help it and the convention grow rather than put the efforts into growing Z participation I am out.

Come on there are what? about 150k 350Z's in the US?

I must admit that The ZCCA should be Zs only, and that is why our local club makes the owners of other Nissan models Honorary Members-they can claim us, but they do not pay dues and are not on the Member roster, just the email notification list...sort of like the Texas Z Club and Mr. K...

Planning ZCCA events that non-member locals could actually attend would go along way in helping to build club excitement within the local community.

What has happened to the Z community in Florida since Daytona? No more Z-Fest in Orlando, Autocross in Gainesville an occasional thing in South Florida but not a statewide event. There was recently the 370Z tour stop in Orlando held in a strip mall paking lot but there were more Honda's and other imports there. It is a shame.