IGNORED

msa performance exhaust, 6-1 header with pics

xray

I really like the idea of this system, but I don't think I could handle the look of that oval muffler hanging down so low and at an odd angle. Why, oh why couldn't they have built this system around a better fitting muffler? If they made the same system in 2 1/4" using a Dynomax 17-741 (a 6" round muffler), I'd have my credit card out in a flash.

Jason--

I tried it both ways, then realized from the graphic on the box that Dynomax recorded airflow rates with inflow through the off-center opening and outflow through the center one. No idea if it makers a difference. Plus, the muffler exit sits more concentric within its opening, as you alluded to in your post.

indeed. i attempted to look at the box for reference for mine, but my drawing has it offset on both sides. when i mounted mine i wanted it has high up as possible, but i have considered switching it around. eventually when i get dyno time i will test it both ways and let you know what i find

Jason

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the MSA 6-1 CH header this weekend. Everything went relatively well, considering this is the first time I have really worked on these cars. Replaced all fuel lines, fuel injectors, and injector harnesses at the same time. I guess it took me 12 hours total.

The header fit very well. The gasket which came from MSA was damaged and old, so I bought a new Felpro gasket. It should be noted that the header must be installed from ABOVE, not from below, and that it should be hung on the block first, followed by the intake manifold. This knowledge would have saved me some time. ( I removed the stock exhaust from below

before removing the intake). The stock washers and bolts fit well with the header. Mine had no warping.

I elected not to replace the heat shield because in theory the header should not get as not as the stock iron exhaust. Does anyone think this will lead to vapor lock? I could replace the shield, but it wouldn't be as pretty.

I used to have the Dynomax. I did not like the way it looks. I switched to a Sebring muffler, it has a straight through design, 2'5 in, and is perfect fit for a 240z. It was chrome plated and sounds really good.

I bought it for $129...

take a look at this link on what it looks like...

http://www.2002haus.com/sebring_exhaust.htm

i just put the 3/2 coated header on and couldn't be happier. well, i wussed out and let my buddy's shop put it on. great sound and looks good. i bought the aluminized exhaust kit (with the dynomax) and was sorely disappointed by it. the muffler was big and looked awful and the kit drug over every speed bump and my driveway. took it down to a muffler shop and had him run a whole new exhaust set up with a smaller turbo muffler. the exhaust system the shop made me hugs a lot better than the kit from msa, hasn't scraped on anything yet. the muffler shop charged the same as the kit from msa, so i'd suggest passing on it.

it's still pretty loud but sounds better than the rotted out twice pipes system that was on it.

Based on my personal experience and photos at the top of the thread, I'm not sure how it dragged on anything unless your car is seriously lowered or the system not correctly installed. Post some pics maybe? Might be moot though if you already paid to have someone do it over again...

The Superturbo Dynomax MSA provides with the system clearly is not the best option... but there's so much space in that area of the car, there are a myriad of options for better fit/sound.

i was amazed at how poorly it fit too, should have taken pictures when it was on the rack before i had i removed. there was maybe a 1-1/2" gap between the mounting point under the rear suspension and the exhaust pipe. the u clamps were also positioned poorly with the threads pointing down. i am wondering about my suspension being lowered, this car (240) rides a hole lot lower than my 260 did with the same size tires and all. had this car only for a few months and haven't had a chance to look around it much. i did think that the supplied dynomax was a little too large though for looks. yeah it fit, but it was too wide of an oval (it mounts vertically) and the bottom of the oval hung down too much for my liking.

• 3 weeks later...