IGNORED

msa performance exhaust, 6-1 header with pics

xray

So I finally got around to buying/test fitting the exhaust on my 72 restoration...Seems like some folks in the past have had some issues with MSA's header flange not mating well at the cylinder head, not clearing the steering...exhaust stories are equally as prevalent. After talking with them and hearing about improved design I bought the 6-1 MSA header with ceramic coating along with their new "performance" 2.5" exhaust...

As you can see from the pics, they seem to have cleared up a lot of issues. The header has a substantially thicker flange and comes with its own manifold gasket. Test fitting showed some slight warpage over the length of the flange (mine slightly bowed from the center about 3/32"), but this was easily overcome by tightening bolts in the proper order to allow the curvature to straighten out. All mounting holes lined up properly. The collector clears the steering and the trans bellhousing, and allows for the stock heat shield to be re-used (albeit with a little persuasion)

The exhaust is 2.5" aluminized steel in two sections. All are flange-mounted and come with hardware and gaskets. The mid-pipe has a nice curve that follows the contour of the floor pan. The endpipe has a nice mandrel bend that 95% perfectly matches the stock mounting points. One mount on the exhaust is welded on and just barely misses perfect positioning by 1/2" or so, but easily is obscured by the rubber mount.

Muffler is the standard Dynomax SuperTurbo, and it comes with a chrome tip that may be restrictive and will probably be replaced. Still working on proper fitment of the muffler--I think I may have to trim one of the mounts, so don't take the appearance in the pics for a final positioning.

I'm no exhaust guru, but it looks like MSA did some good homework and re-engineered this exhaust to fit properly such that a DIY'er like myself can mount it in 2-3 hours by myself. Total cost around $550.

post-7009-14150801465816_thumb.jpg

post-7009-1415080146643_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801466829_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801467239_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801467672_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801468078_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801468541_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801468965_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801469365_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801469779_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps some folks who may be considering buying an exhaust package in the future. Car is still undergoing reassembly, and will be several weeks before I can report on sound, performance, drone/resonance etc.

Steve

post-7009-14150801470188_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801470604_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801471008_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801471411_thumb.jpg

Nice pics! It looks to be a good fitment all round. Most systems need some amount of tweaking. Are you going to port match the header to the head before final fitment? If you want the full benefit of the header with the least restriction, it is well worth the small amount of time it takes to do it.

Port match the header? Doubtful. I got the engine (remanufactured F54/P79) with about 30k on it, the last few thousand as a track car. It has a mild grind cam on it, and reportedly made 180 RWHP. Had compression in the 160s...Tough to portmatch the exhaust when there are liners in it...

The P79 has a good combustion chamber design with an improved quench character. Some debate the disadvantage of the exhaust liners and suggest that shaving a P79 is better than prepping an E88, but not as good as the P90. So, I have been looking (not too hard) for a P90, and have considered prepping a spare E88 while the stock engine is rebuilt, but we'll see how this setup works out first.

I am pleased with how easily the exhaust installed, and how nicely it is tucked into the space allocated. I would really dig having a premuffler with a pair of Ansa-like over/under glasspacks, but also that will wait until things have been sorted out.

Steve

I hope this helps some folks who may be considering buying an exhaust package in the future. Car is still undergoing reassembly, and will be several weeks before I can report on sound, performance, drone/resonance etc.

Steve

I have that same exhaust, but with a 6-2-1 header. I had some trouble with the pipe rattling on the differential mount cross-member, but other than that it was easy enough to install.

As for the sound... It is really loud. (A little too loud to suit me.) When I drive in town I tend to stay in the highest gear that the engine will pull just to keep the noise down. I guess that I could splice in a glasspack somewhere to take some of the edge off.

Perhaps I will get used to it eventually.

Hi Walter,

This exhaust clears the trans and diff mount by about 3/4", so hopefully the rattle will not be much of an issue. As for loudness, well....so long as it sounds anything close the I6 3.2 in the M roadster with which it shares garage space, then I'll be happy!

Steve

I like the look of the new flanged system. I just wish they offered it in a smaller diameter as well. The 2.5" is a bit much for an L24, IMO.

But if they made it in say, 2.0" or 2.25", with a round DynoMax 17-741 instead of the oval muffler, I'd be really interested.

Arne,

You may want to give them a call. The 6-1 header comes with an adapter to mate it with the stock diameter exhaust. I didn't inquire about a smaller diameter "performance" alternative because I was shopping the 2.8. Since they offer such a performance item as the Stahl headers I would hazard a guess they have different exhaust diameters to match the appropriate configuration.

Ditto on the oval muffler. But my 73Z I had years ago had Ansa glasspacks on it, and I pine for that sound....