IGNORED

msa performance exhaust, 6-1 header with pics

xray

Dunno. I talked to them a few weeks back about smaller than 2.5" and they recommended I find a local muffler shop. Looks to me like the system for stock manifolds is the same as yours, with the addition of a downpipe. But it looks good, I may yet try it on the yellow car, if I find a stock manifold for it.

Thanks Xray. Sal told me that MSA had improved the fit. Now if the drone is gone it looks like a winner. Let us know. I really want to pop for one of the Stahl headers but it is just too $$$$. For a stock motor the Stahl header is available in a smaller diameter than 1 1/2".

Great pictures and commentary!

That thicker flange on the header should fix the old problem of mismatch between the intake and exhaust manifolds at locations using the thick washers which are supposed to clamp down to secure both. Hopefully they toleranced the new flange to match the OEM flange thickness.

Hullo All

As I progress slowly through the "refreshment" of my 1973 Fairlady 240Z, I am looking to renew the exhaust system. This information is helpful for thinking of options.

I have made enquiries of HiTech Mufflers in Sydney recently and they suggested Ceramic extractors mated to a stainless steel exhaust. The exhaust would have to be crafted to suit car. Cost - AUD2000 approximately!!

Obviously the MSA system that xray refers to is much less money, but a long way away! Would any Aussie people have any advice as to who/where to seek out a new system for the 240Z. I would appreciate any advice greatly.

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Jack

Kinfish,

The flanges match just about dead-on for thickness between intake and exhaust. I put on an N36 intake with the header and used the OEMwashers to secure it in place--no other shims needed. I'll try taking a closer pic of it...Of course, we'll have to see when the engine fires up to be sure if there are no leaks, but hey--a guy can have some optimism once in a while, right?

Mike,

The header was $320 (coated) and exhaust $240. Including shipping and a Z Club discount it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $520-$550. I'll know for sure when my AmEx statement comes...

• 5 weeks later...
Kinfish,

The flanges match just about dead-on for thickness between intake and exhaust. I put on an N36 intake with the header and used the OEMwashers to secure it in place--no other shims needed. I'll try taking a closer pic of it...Of course, we'll have to see when the engine fires up to be sure if there are no leaks, but hey--a guy can have some optimism once in a while, right?

Mike,

The header was $320 (coated) and exhaust $240. Including shipping and a Z Club discount it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $520-$550. I'll know for sure when my AmEx statement comes...

Any updates?

Hi Mark,

In a word---rumble. As in :"rumblerumblerumblerumblerumble--WHOOOM! rumblerumblerumblerumble..." Sounds great IMO. Nice lope fromt he camshaft quick brappy revs from the light flywheel--but it's still not well-tuned as it sounds a little too V8ish for my taste.

I can feel the exhaust note in my chest standing near it from 2-3 feet away at idle, and I can't detect significant resonance to speak of (but I've only had it around the neighborhood, so haven't assessed highway speed yet.) In tyhe cabin it's a great low-mid tone up to 35 mph, but I'll know more once I troubleshoot some other areas.

I'm still sorting it out, and figuring out a good way to record it without distortion, but I'm very happy with my choice.

Steve

The tip that comes with the kit fits inside the muffler tip, and narrows its ID to about 2". I've been looking around for a suitable replacement that also has the length to get it out from under the car so exhaust fumes aren't sucked back into the cabin, and found this one at PepBoys, of all places. It's 3.5" OD with a resonator built in, but ID remains 2.5". It is 8" long, and extends about 2" past the bumper after installation. COsts about $25.

JC Whitney offers a similar-sized one by Pacesetter, as part of their Monza lineup, but it costs a little more at $36 plus shipping.

After install it quiets the muffler a little but still maintains an agressive tone. My wife thinks it sounds a little louder than my M roadster (stock exhaust) but has no "ricer" sound at all. My neighbor (not a car guy) thought it sounded "Awesome--the sound of accomplishment!"

post-7009-14150801833836_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801834337_thumb.jpg

post-7009-14150801834621_thumb.jpg