IGNORED

FULL DETAILS: Fall 2007 issue of Nissan Sport!

NissanSportSara

NOW try the magazine risk free!

We are in the final stages of proofing the new Fall 2007 issue. The editors tell me this is the best work they’ve ever done. The new issue features exclusive wind-tunnel testing of aero mods on 240Zs, an in-depth look at the greatest generations of the Nissan GT-R, as well as tons of car and truck tech. But it's the riveting life story of the greatest driver to ever navigate the legendary East African Safari Rally that sets this issue apart - be sure to check out this article including great stories about his career start with 240Zs. It is truly stunning.

Nissan Sport guarantees that if you are a serious Nissan, Infiniti, or Datsun enthusiast, you will love this issue or we’ll completely refund your money. Go to www.nissansportmag.com to subscribe. The deadline to get in on the early-bird mailing of the new Fall 2007 issue is Tuesday, September 18. The issue will start arriving in mailboxes in early October (for those who order by the deadline) and will be on newsstands nationwide in mid October.

If you have any questions or have address updates, feel free to write me personally at sarah@nissansportmag.com, bug the editors at editor@nissansportmag.com, or call circulation at 505-771-2374. Enjoy the new issue--and check out www.nissansportmag.com's homepage for our poll, put in your vote today!

Sarah Robinson

Editorial Assistant, Nissan Sport

www.nissansportmag.com

But it's the riveting life story of the greatest driver to ever navigate the legendary East African Safari Rally that sets this issue apart - be sure to check out this article including great stories about his career start with 240Zs. It is truly stunning.

May I ask a question about this, please?

I believe the question of who might be "....the greatest driver to ever navigate the legendary East African Safari Rally...." might be a matter for hot debate! I can think of several possible candidates.

However, I can't think of any famous rally driver that started his career with the 240Z. Not a single one. Who can you be referring to?

If you are referring to the great and sadly missed Shekhar Mehta (?), then it should be noted that he certainly did not start his E.A.Safari campaigns or his rallying career in a 240Z. Far from it.

I have my fingers crossed that the story will be accurate and well researched.

Alan T.

The article is indeed about Mr. Mehta. To be clear, it was his first Safari experience, not his first rally experience, that he drove the Z. My fault entirely, as I was providing Sarah some extra information after a 60-hour work week. I should know not to be so careless around S30 fans!

I guarantee it will be the best article you've ever read in either Sport Z or Nissan Sport. We were even able to interview his co-driver and his wife (also, incidently, another one of his co-drivers). The tales in the Z, not to mention his life in general, are spellbinding. We've devoted a ton of pages and have some incredible pics. (I've been absolutely giddy about this since June and staff is getting tired of it!)

Enjoy the issue. It can't come soon enough! Let me know what you think after you read it....

-Dave

Before Alan writes back, understand it has been a 60-hour work week getting the issue out. Mehta piloted a 510SSS in the 1970 rally as a private entry but had to retire early in the race for a DNF. Just to be clear, clear.

And yes, debate is welcome on great Safari drivers. There are a few of them indeed!

-Dave

Before Alan writes back, understand it has been a 60-hour work week getting the issue out. Mehta piloted a 510SSS in the 1970 rally as a private entry but had to retire early in the race for a DNF. Just to be clear, clear.

Apart from the 510 in 1970 ( which was what I immediately thought of when I read your original quote ), just off the top of my head I believe Mehta also drove in either the 1969 or 1968 E.A. Safari ( possibly both? ) in a privately-entered Peugeot 204. He was hardly a Safari 'virgin' when he was given the first of his Safari Z drives on the '71 event.

I'll keep a look out for the mag when it comes out.

Actually, according to both wife and co-driver, the Safari in 71 was the first Mehta completed. While he competed in the 70 Safari with a 510SSS, he was knocked out in the first stage.

Obviously you are up on your rally history and your memory is amazingly sharp. You are correct in that Mehta drove the Peugeot 204 (it was his first rally car), but it was in regional Uganda rallys, not in the Safari. In fact he won his first rally in a Renault, in only his second race. But a chance meeting with a friend at a Tanzanian hillclimb turned him onto the 510 and onto Datsuns, and that brings us to his first race in 1970. But the excitement begins in earnest in 1971, in a 240Z, in a car he shouldn't have been driving....

-Dave

But the excitement begins in earnest in 1971, in a 240Z, in a car he shouldn't have been driving....

Mehta was present at the very first official outside-Japan test of the 'Works' 240Z rally cars - at Bagshot in early November 1970 - just before the 1970 RAC Rally. This would have been his first opportunity to drive in a Works 240Z - some seven months or more before the 1971 Safari.

One of Mehta's advantages ( apart from being quick ) was the ability, and the wherewithall, to put himself 'in the frame' when it came to getting behind the wheel of the Works Nissan machines during this period.

I'm looking forward to seeing the article.

Alan T.

For the Safari, Mehta was not slated to drive that 240Z. That seat was supposed to go to the "flying Sikh" Joginder Singh--a very talented and popular driver. But he bolted for Ford at the last minute, and a spot behind the wheel of the Z opened up. Good timing, indeed, to put oneself into the frame, no doubt aided by his earlier experience you noted.

-Dave

• 2 months later...