IGNORED

park light fuse blows out

mdh417

any one have any cloose as to why my park light fuse blows out immediately upon turing on the light switch on. the front lights our not hook-up period. the

rear blinkers our hook up and the signals work. the hazard works but if i turn

on the headlights on the first setting it blows out. there is also no rear side mark

er lights too.:mad: thanks anyone

Well, I am no electrical genius, but my first guess would be that perhaps you have the wrong amp fuse in there. The second guess would be that your combination switch (on the stalk) is discombobulated. A third guess would be that there are some crossed wires or bad connections somewhere in the line, but this last one would be a longshot, unless the previous owner really messed things up.

I am sure that someone with more knowledge will chime in later, but you may wish to search "combination switch" and see what pops up.

If it is the combo switch, a member here (Dave aka Zs-ondabrain) will be a great resource to you; he rebuilds the little buggers very well.

edit: you may wish to state which vehicle is giving you problems.

your combination switch (on the stalk) is discombobulated

I like that, sounds painful, but I really like that:classic:

Try unplugging all the lights, lamps, globes sequentially to verify where your fault may be.

If indeed you combo switch is "discombobulated", the fault may very well still be there with the load disconnected.

Oh, while you are trouble shooting, replace the fuse with a 12V globe.

Use a couple of flying leads to hitch it to the fuse contacts.

That way the globe will glow while the fault condition is present and you won't be trashing a heap of fuses in the meantime:)

[The globe will prevent the short from burning any wiring]

any one have any cloose as to why my park light fuse blows out immediately upon turing on the light switch on. the front lights our not hook-up period. the

rear blinkers our hook up and the signals work. the hazard works but if i turn

on the headlights on the first setting it blows out. there is also no rear side mark

er lights too.:mad: thanks anyone

Corrosion is causing your problem, possibly assisted by wear in your combination switch.

Solutions: Clean all of the connectors in the circuit and the combination switch. Cleaning the combination switch requires disassembly and cursing as you find all of the little parts that popped out. You'll also need to examine your fusebox for corrosion.

Try the parking light harness upgrade advertised by Zs-ondabrain at http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20151. While it won't fix the problems with corrosion, it reduces the impact.

Years ago I had to disconnect my marker lights to keep the parking light fuse from blowing. It seems the marker light bulb holders rot pretty quickly.

As mentioned above, try disconnecting all the lights and reconnect one at a time while on until you find the bad one. It will fry the fuse when you find it.

2c

Jim

First off, you said that most of the lights were disconnected, start there....

Check each of the 2 wires that go to each side marker. If the wires are not connected to a socket, make sure they are not grounding out on the chassis or any other open ground (metal).

Similar to what was mentioned above, remove all parking lights (front and rear) turn on the parking lights switch (first click), if the fuse still blows, you have a grounded wire somewhere. If the fuse does NOT blow, slowly insert one bulb at a time. If at any point, you insert a bulb and the light and fuse blows, THAT is your problem area.

The only way that the combo switch could be a problem is if one of the wires are grounding on the switch chassis on the combo switch itself. You should have 15 AMP fuse in the fusebox for the parking lights (3rd fuse down on the right)

DON'T FORGET that the dash lights are also part of that same circuit and if your dimmer switch (located under the tach area, under the dash) if bad, that could also be a trouble area.

Parking light wires are green/white in the rear, green/blue in the front and red/blue for the dash lights.

ALSO, Go to the auto parts store, get a light socket cleaner (cylindrical wire brush, DISCONNECT your batteries (+) post then clean ALL sockets, even the brake light and reverse light sockets. Wire brush the bulbs before you re-instal them, one at a time, as mentioned above, until the fuse blows again.

Hope that helps a little. And P.S. This holds true and helpful for every S30.

Dave.

The obvious.. Check along the length of the harness for exposed wire. If your rubber grommets are gone it's very easy to have the wires abrade the firewall etc. I had this happening up front where the harness enters the front crossmember.

2c

Jim

Each harness has a protective vinyl sleeve that protects the harness where it goes thru the radiator support wall. ALSO there should be a bubber grommet around the hole where the harness goes thru the support wall, if it is gone or damaged, cut a length of 3/16" hose and split the hose down the middle, fit it around the diameter of the hole that the harness goes thru. This will keep the harness from shorting out on the metal there.

juuuust got my car back from ZWHIZZ yesterday for that exact same problem. turned out one of my front TS housings had rust on the connector. cleaned it up and voila!

I'm having the same problem, except mine actually got so hot it started to burn my fuse box. Anyone have any pics of the TS housing so that i can check for corrosion??

• 2 years later...

I have this problem with my series 1 240Z.

The headlights, brakelights and blinkers work. But not the parking lights (side markers, rear and front, licenseplate) or the gauge lights.

The fuse blows almoust at once when I put on the parking lights.

The car is stock, and everything has worked nice until now. In the beginning of this week the car was out from the garage and it was raining really hard. I noticed that water was coming in under the dash on the right side of the car. Found out that the water came in becouse the hose that should stear the water out on the side of the car was not installed :stupid:

There was water on the wires under the dash above the kickplate.

I have not used the car after that.

Should I start going through those wires or do you think the problem is somewhere else?

The fusebox looks ok.