IGNORED

What is the best part of owning a classic Z?

hls30.com

What is the best part of classic Z ownership?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best part of classic Z ownership?

• 1) The Chicks!
    • 2) Getting pulled over for a story every time you take her out.
    • 3)Warming up a set of tires with some hot twisties
    • watching honda headlights dissapear!
    • Knowing she is waiting for you to come take her out!
    • Putting the latest purchase on her.
    • Seeing her waiting for you at the curb/in the garage.
    • Changing her fluids!
    • The attention she takes away from new cars
    • Confounding teenagers about what she is!
    • The friends you meet because of her
    • Taking her to car shows
    • finishing her up!
    • detailing her to the envy of your neighbors!
    • Being able to work on her, but not having to work on her.

All that you guys have said is sooooooooooo true so, it would be hard to add anything else! Ain't nothing like you, the Z, and miles of twisty roads. Gawd, I love these old Zs!!!!

Tom

Driving down to the Tail of the Dragon and watching people try and figure out what kind of car it is. And then having people come up at rest stops and gas stations to tell you what a nice Z you have.....1079 miles so far, another 187 to go tomorrow.

Having turned every nut and bolt by hand, restoring it, modifying it, loving it for all it's worth, showing her off to all my friends and other Z enthusiasts...the list goes on and on, and talking about it all with you guys is an added bonus. Long Live The "Z"!!!!:knockedou

The best part is just driving it. Mine sat for almost a year and I was leaning towards getting rid of it.

Got it back together enough to take out for a test run. Not a fast run, just a drive to make sure it was up to the 100 mile commute for work the next day. We headed out on some back roads outside of town. The roads weren't 'fun' roads, no hills, no real corners but we just cruised around into areas we'd never bothered to check out before.

It wasn't until I noticed that the sun had mostly gone down so we couldn't see the mountains in the distance to use as a guide for which direction we were going that I realized we'd been out there for longer than I'd planned.

There is no chance at all that we would have just driven around for fun in either of our other newer vehicles. They are comfortable, just not as enjoyable.

Of course even with the test run it still tried to leave me stranded on two separate days on the commute. I don't get much sympathy when I'm late because of car problems with it since I work at a Honda dealer :paranoid:

Even then there is something empowering about getting the car back out onto the road and finishing the drive.

When I bought the car it had about 140,000 miles on it and is now close to 330,000. We've driven it to Seattle, LA, Tahoe, Monterey, Las Vegas and just about everywhere inbetween (my parents drove it out from Tennesse to Northern California when I bought it). It had apparantly been rescued from a field by the person that had it before them and I really don't want to know how it got so many dents in the floorpans (too much dukes of hazard?)

Up close it is rough but at 10-20' back it looks sharp :) It needs minor body work and paint badly, the engine leaks oil at several different places. It has one of those rubber expansion plugs in the side of the block that replaced a rotted out freeze plug and that is just the start of the things that need fixed list. To be honest I'd be embarrassed to have someone take a close look at much of the car and my attempts at repairs. But mostly it needs a good strong AC system so I can continue to drive it during the summers (usually 5 months) here when I have to give up and switch to my Tacoma for the AC.

I've yet to see a car I like more for less than about $60,000. Can someone please make an reasonably priced fun to drive RWD car? It doesn't have to have 500HP, just make it fun!

-Trevor

• 2 weeks later...

I love the looks, i love the way she holds the road, the sound she makes, the

performance and feel in the driver's seat will make everyone driving it grin and

respect this very noble classic, once known as one of car & driver's top

10 best enthusiast car of all times.

The personal development/accomplishment that sprung from my love of the car... All disciplines mechanical, etc...

The car and I have shaped each other.

For some of this and else everything there's Mastercard:)

Made some damn good freinds along the way too. You guys are icing on the cake.

Jim

• 1 month later...