IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

3 hours ago, kats said:

I found one terrible thing on the spare chain driven pump, a bolt head is scratched half ! What happened with this engine?? The car had an accident in the front section ?

IMG_1697.JPG

Hi Kats,

I think that bolt has had the oil pump duplex chain rubbing against it, possibly because the oil pump sprocket was not shimmed correctly on assembly. There are four grades of shim for the S20's oil pump drive sprocket and it is crucial to set it correctly.

I don't think it is any kind of externally-caused accident damage. Much more likely to be an in-service failure and/or incorrect assembly. Not good!

• Like 1

Thanks Alan ! Now  I see the reason. 

I do not want someone like this to overhaul my engine!!

I am asking Matsui-san to hear some advice for installing the gear driven pump. 

Kats

4 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Hi Kats,

I think that bolt has had the oil pump duplex chain rubbing against it, possibly because the oil pump sprocket was not shimmed correctly on assembly. There are four grades of shim for the S20's oil pump drive sprocket and it is crucial to set it correctly.

I don't think it is any kind of externally-caused accident damage. Much more likely to be an in-service failure and/or incorrect assembly. Not good!

The chain must have looked pretty ugly too. Shoddy workmanship.

Blue, thank you for the useful information.

I checked my blue 240Z's  SU, they have same oil (0W-20) , same amount, but not same force (very stiff though) to lift up the piston. Also not same timing when they drops. When oil is empty for both, the force and timing is the same. It will take much more effort to find out what is wrong..

I have bought nozzles from MSA, they supposed to be black plastic do not they?

Also repair kit, the tube does not have to be cloth braided, this tube makes me wonder if it is going to be a problem due to not so flexible.

Small things make me wonder.

I hope these parts will work perfect.

Kats

IMG_1719.JPG

IMG_1720.JPG

29 minutes ago, kats said:

Blue, thank you for the useful information.

I checked my blue 240Z's  SU, they have same oil (0W-20) , same amount, but not same force (very stiff though) to lift up the piston. Also not same timing when they drops. When oil is empty for both, the force and timing is the same. It will take much more effort to find out what is wrong..

Kats

Kats,

I forgot that @Captain Obvious made a discovery that the small pistons in the damper plunger can cause problems with binding.  You may want to simply unscrew these plungers and swap to see if the problem moves with the plunger.

On 6/3/2017 at 4:02 AM, HS30-H said:

Apparently they were part of a short-lived factory air con prep, relocating the horns to make more space for the condenser.

When did this become 'apparently"?  Any photographs or parts catalog drawings to support this "apparently"?  I think the tabs are for frame alignment purposes but "apparently" I can't support my opinion either!

Framerail-4.jpg

3 minutes ago, 26th-Z said:

When did this become 'apparently"?  Any photographs or parts catalog drawings to support this "apparently"?  I think the tabs are for frame alignment purposes but "apparently" I can't support my opinion either!

Well, I rounded up some opinions from *people who I thought should know* (no names, no pack drill...) last time I was in Japan. My use of "apparently" is a don't blame me if it's wrong get-out clause in case someone comes up with a plausible alternative story...  ;-)

Frame alignment is an interesting theory, but I don't buy it. If they are for frame alignment, what screws into the captive nuts? Some kind of measuring fixture? Where are the other reference points on the body then? Where's the factory literature to back it up (because shirley it would be for replacement panels in the field, and therefore the civilians need to know?)? Also, the lower radiator support crossmember is well forward of the alignment-critical areas of the unibody, and doesn't have anything of much importance hanging off it. Why have alignment-related hard points there, and for such a limited time? Doesn't seem to ring true to me.

My main line of enquiry with them was aimed at nixing the idea that they were anything competition related. I don't think they are. In fact, let me be more definitive and say that I am SURE they are not competition-use related. It's surprisingly hard to prove a negative though.

See? I knew we shouldn't have closed the case file on this one just yet... 

Well the only items in the vicinity are bumper, gnose, lights, horn, and radiator.  I think the part pre-dates the gnose so that is crossed off.

Bumper reinforcements also came in late 74 so that could be ruled out.

As Kats said it seems too big and structural for just holding horns.

As well it is not on all bodies so that is another part of the puzzle.  For this it would make more sense to be part of an option like AC rather than for factory alignment (which one would think to be on all bodies).

Sometimes oil coolers are hung out there... could it be for that?

Or maybe it is a mount for some sort of front accessory... snow plow, bike rack, rally fog lights, a really big hood emblem,? ;)

• Like 2

Ok, I remember when this conversation started as the claim of a unique competition frame member.  I was afraid that "apparently" was going to mystically become reality ( I have had enough of mystic reality these days ) and I had to respond.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 240260280 said:

Well the only items in the vicinity are bumper, gnose, lights, horn, and radiator.  I think the part pre-dates the gnose so that is crossed off.

Bumper reinforcements also came in late 74 so that could be ruled out.

As Kats said it seems too big and structural for just holding horns.

Grande Nose is late 1971, so the 'G Nose' predates that crossmember/those mounts by quite a long way. I can state quite confidently that it's nothing specific to the ZG.

The point about the horns is that these mounts simply move the horns forward of their normal positions. The horns then attach to the captive nuts in the forward end of the mounts, giving space for something quite big (like an aircon evaporator...) to mount in between them and the radiator. They are less horn mounts and more horn re-locators. Re-locating the horns is not their primary function.

Oil cooler mounts is a red herring. The mount points for the (two types of) factory oil cooler are already in the (normal) body.

Works rally cars never used anything like these mounts for sumpguards or spot/fog lamps. In any case, such mounts were 'free' in FIA Appendix J and didn't need to be homologated/attached to road cars to make them legal for rally use.

If they are not the nascent air con evaporator mounts I am advised they are by people I trust to know, then I'll eat my hat and finish it off with my socks for dessert. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 26th-Z said:

Ok, I remember when this conversation started as the claim of a unique competition frame member.  I was afraid that "apparently" was going to mystically become reality ( I have had enough of mystic reality these days ) and I had to respond.

This is the point at which a Facebook group would *call Carl Beck*, and roll out the digital red carpet...

;-)

• Like 2