IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Hi Kats,

Another mystery ?

I re-coloured one of the red photos from the service manual.  I hope you enjoy it.

In doing so, I noticed two unusual features that did not make it to production.

1. The fuel rail to carb hoses are very light in colour (not black).

2. There seem to be three of these hoses coming from the rail rather than just two. ( 1 to the front fuel bowl, 1 to the rear fuel bowl, 1 that seems to go to the fuel bowl area  [see second picture])

Any idea on what material the hoses are made and the purpose of the third hose?

Early 240z.jpg

post-9102-14150814260809.jpg

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1

Hey Kats,

I figure this might be of interest to you. It looks like HS30 00021 in South Africa and it appears to be the first HS30 I've seen in 903 Blue with a Blue interior like your HLS30!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wjZaemBmiz73ygIm1

I was excited to see it because up until this point I have only seen 904 white / blue cars in Australia and I only know of about 6 or 7 such cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gav240z said:

Perhaps it's a fuel line to run cool fuel through the intake to help lower intake temps? Like the cooling bodies on Mikuni / Solex carbs?

Good point.  I  recall a coolant hardline that wrapped around the back of the head for running coolant through later manifolds but did it terminate so high up where the fuel rail is and was it on early models? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Good point.  I  recall a coolant hardline that wrapped around the back of the head for running coolant through later manifolds but did it terminate so high up where the fuel rail is and was it on early models? 

No it didn't, I was really just guessing as to it's use. I thought it may have been an older method of fuel return line, but I see that's still there on this early prototype. So I can only guess maybe it was an attempt to run cooler fuel through the carb bodies before returning to the tank? I know the Mikuni's have this ability, but few actually utilise it.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!

I love both TOPY STEEL and KOBE SEIKO magnesium. I visited my friend on Monday, 

I was surprised that my friend bought the set of Z432 wheel ! The seller has owned his Z432 since he bought it new from Nissan , he took of them when he scratched edge one of them . That was  40 years or more ago ,then they were on his shelves until showing up on the auction. He is a doctor,  doctor loves Z432 ...

I check them and they are truly original and fantastic appearance.

Kats

4BA924DC-8210-4DAC-A2D7-556040B7B285.jpeg

3328C7CC-5389-4D59-9F17-D85F55AC9717.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 3

Hi Blue , I was surprised you are doing it , how can you do it ? It helps a lot for understanding its details , original photo is not good to figure out what each pieces are . 

Here are the color pictures , and the one showing the engine bay  looks the same car what we are talking about .

Could you see the float has two pipes at one connector?

Kats

A6F6EF63-D833-40AE-9B29-52A8CBC51350.jpeg

2A61B541-7743-44C0-AE67-23017358F836.jpeg

C08538D1-97D9-40E1-9B2A-C830CAA9B18E.jpeg

66A500B2-FBE6-43FC-BF2F-541F7F5A2BE6.jpeg

CD1F9FC0-F079-4790-AA90-110F3C94D256.jpeg

AAB5C376-15D4-482E-B659-7CE182AA4AEA.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi Gavin, the brochure is unique I think, I have never seen it on outside of Japan , I do not know why , I purchased this at  Yahoo Japan.

I do not know what countries received this brochure, anyway this looks general purpose for use.

I really love the blue RHD car ! In Africa, whao. I think someone said there is a super low VIN car like a digit in Africa, have you ever heard of it ?

Kats 

9 hours ago, kats said:

Here are the color pictures , and the one showing the engine bay  looks the same car what we are talking about .

Could you see the float has two pipes at one connector?

Kats

Thanks for the high resolution!  Here is another find.  The inlet on the fuel pump is on the front and outlet is inboard.

Also the exit hose the pump is light colour.

I'll dig some more ?

EarlyZ Fuel on Right.jpg

HLS30-00013 Fuel Routing.

image.png

Edited by 240260280

2 hours ago, kats said:

I really love the blue RHD car ! In Africa, whao. I think someone said there is a super low VIN car like a digit in Africa, have you ever heard of it ?

Kats 

A while ago I heard that HS30 00021 was in South Africa and was a blue colour. The magazine article has a lot of errors but does say the chassis no. is 21. But I think we can conclude it is an HS30 given it's a early 240z and RHD.

I have many quite a few early S30z's (HS30s) were dealer demo cars scattered around RH drive regions. #16 was from Norfolk Island and #11 was from Paupau New Guinea and both by chance eventually made their way to Australia. Unfortunately neither of them managed to retain their L24.

I've found HS30s with Blue interiors but they were always white. Some had red interiors but they were white or silver cars, this is the first surviving example HS30 that I've seen with Blue/Blue combo. But I have no idea if anymore were configured like this. Since 1998 when I first started looking at these cars in Australia I've never seen such a combination. Which means it's either 1 of 1 or a very rare combination indeed. 903 Blue HS30s are thin on the ground in general and seem to account for around 3% of cars I've counted so far.

My guess is that as Alan stated someone in South Africa had a good working relationship with Nissan Japan and was able to make a special order request. That's the suspicion anyway.

• Like 1