IGNORED

I would appreciate your opinions please

Mckrack

When we first got my 280z, it had them on there and I thought they looked alright. We had to take them off of coarse to do all the body work and now I'm glad that we did because having them off I think really makes the car have a cleaner sportier look to it and gives it the right lines. But it's always your opinion on what you like.

Thanks everybody for your opinion. I thought you could possibly stick them on but if holes have to be drilled I'm not doing that. However I do kind of like them.

snip....

Anyway thank you very much for your opinions.

McKrack

The generic version was a stickon.

Miles is quite correct in saying that there where 2 versions as I fitted the stick on to my first zed in the late 70's.

Whether you like them or not is a preference thing (like stripes)!

MOM

26th-z refers to his car as "her majesty", I think because it has such a low vin? The guy in David's picture is the low mileage, no taste guy that he was describing who was being rude to Mr. K and making asinine modifications to what would otherwise have been a nice car(or at least that's what I gathered from the post). Both posts had a touch of the "sarcasm" you hear about every so often these days.

As far as I know, they made two types. The earlier one was an aluminum channel that was riveted on the car. The newer one was a plastic channel that was taped to the car. Both types could be had with numerous colored inserts. ..snip...
...snip...taking them off would leave the rivet holes ...snip..., I guess they do serve a purpose in keeping the car from getting door dings. :classic:
Well there is one certainty, they never stopped a parking lot rub,dent,ding.

All the damage to the Z's doors are BELOW the ridge of the body work. to be effective the trim would have to run 12 inches below that line.

...snip...

When I was researching parts for my car that were "correct", I ran into various vehicles with the rivet and the stick-on vinyl rubber side protectors in the boneyard. The rivet on system is very hard on the vehicle and it does cause a lot of rust. It is also hard to find replacements with both the aluminum channel and the vinyl insert in colors. The Stick-On is still available.

I would presume they are both period and dealer item correct since some of these cars had been there for many years, and the items were obviously ON the car when they arrived at the boneyard. However, with exposure to the sun, some of them undoubtedly faded and shrank before I saw them, and now I'm relying on memory, so you may have to adjust your monitor's resolution and color balance to see what I recall.

Here are some of the styles I found but with their current (as of today) sources so you can be sure that you're getting the right item.

Extra Wide Moulding- This was seen both with a chrome edge along both sides of the center vinyl and the extra wide black rubber reminiscent of later Subaru trim moldings:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBrowse/c-10101/s-10101/p-100000153620/mediaCode-ZX/appId-100000153620/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000153620

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008788/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2008788/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=wheel+well+chrome

If you're really worried about getting dinged on a new paint job, here's a more modern item which will allow you to either place one big wide strip or a multitude of individual ones at the critical points:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008789/p-2008789/N-111+10201+600001802/c-10101

You can't go wrong putting these on your car as I and others can vouch for their having been used back "in the day".

...snip... Anyhow, Alsace suggested white side molding with the metal caps on each end - in gold. With matching gold screws. ...snip...He also suggested you match the molding with gold hubcaps....snip...

This cracked me up, as I recall when the Mexican in me got ahold of the mouse and used BIN to buy a set of these for the Z:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2008743/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2008743/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=wheel+well+chrome

I had thought they were something else, there wasn't a picture attached to the auction, and when they arrived, I could just hear all the wise arse cracks people would make about them. But that Alsace crack got me thinking....what if we were to anodize them "Gold" to match the end metal and the hubcaps?

Any similarity to past, current, or future Mexicans, actual or practising, is not intended to be a crack on their car or character or lack thereof.

In spanish: ¡Ay Güey! ¡No seas pendejo!

...snip...The guy in David's picture is the low mileage, no taste guy that he was describing who was being rude to Mr. K and making asinine modifications to what would otherwise have been a nice car...snip....

Now what kind of nasty crack is that all about?

Maybe he was commenting to Mr. K about the correctness of his vehicle's modifications? If not in originality but in retrospective necessity! After all, surely even Mr. K will agree that from the factory the Z needed some of the modifications he performed. The other guy was obviously so impressed with the comments he couldn't even crack a smile!

Sorry....guess I just got tired of the "sarcastic" cracks....

¡Ay Güey!

E

I wish MY z had come equipped with a crown shaped air freshener...the funk of 30 year old mildew-y cream vinyl is hard to shake...Next time I sit down with Mr K. over some tea I'll be sure and ask him if he can pull some strings for me on my next car. Retrospective necessity...I like that one!

I vote no to the side bumpers . I removed mine and filled the holes while I was preping for paint. I like the less is more look. I don't run the rubber on the bumpers or the vertical guards either. I wish I had filled the holes for the marker lights . That look makes the car sleeker and cleaner lines . In my view. Gary

Wassa matter, "Krack"? Can't read my user name? CDavid jumped on you pretty hard, didn't he? So, what kind of paint job did you buy that would come off from the glue-on type? The only word for you to remember when it comes to paint and body work, Mcrack, is PREPERATIONH!!! Ohhh, you crack me up!

Don't put side moldings on your car. Your'e stock, remember? Make up your mind, and go one way or the other. Where are you going to drive the car that it would get dings? Your'e better off with a bra.

So put up some pictures of your blue-on-blue-baby. I know a photographer if you need some help. How did the carpeting turn out? Your'e done, right?

Congrats on a 3-page thread. This has been pretty entertaining. Enrique, you crack me up! And the Her Majesty thing refers to the garage queen.

Thanks again for all the opinions. I have some time to decide but I'm probaly going to leave them off. I do think though that the body side moldings somehow sharpen the lines of the car. As for 26 I didn't think I would get so many responses. As for the other stuff you posted you almost sound like your angry at someone or something. Kind of sounds like you are being a little sarcastic. But thanks for the advice and no I don't think I'm going to be putting a bra on my car.

Thanks again guys.

McKrack